Saturday, March 6, 2021

Chapter 59. resolution nr. 9 - Sick Sacraments

 59. resolution nr. 9


“Brothers! Sisters! We don’t need that perverted art thing!” Preacher  

Dan’s voice blasted from the loud speakers over the steps of the  

capitol building when The Chosen Ones had finished whipping up the  

crowd’s support with a rousing rendition of, ’Forever I Bereave, Lord’.

“Once wholesome people, gone hee-bent all in the guise of fine art!  

Children, I say children, exposed to the filthy genitals of all  

around perversity! I say unto you, repent! Come clean and ride up to  

heaven in God’s washing machine!

“It is written! Brothers and Sisters. Come clean. Come clean. God’s  

spaceship earth has become unclean. Like Jesus, the carpenter, turned  

opportunist by his followers, told us, we must live unselfishly.’’

“Brothers and Sisters. Let me ask you a question. Are you nothing but  

dust in the wind ready to stick to any perverted surface you come in  

contact with? It must end. It is time to be clean for Jesus!”

“I have called you together to help me clean up the filth that is  

nowadays being exhibited in galleries and museums. Even today, in our  

beautiful city, there is filth being exhibited and sold at high  

prices. The cultural elitists who lap it up are unaware that they are  

simply buying trash. Why, I could put my trashcan in a gallery and  

call it art. But I won’t do that ’cause I know what trash is. It is  

time to show them where trash belongs!”

Preacher Dan reeled around pointing at the crowd and shouting, “Take  

heed, take heed and plant the seed. This perverted art thing we don’t  

need.” He repeated his mantra while The Chosen Ones lined up behind  

him and started to sing the phrase along with him, accompanied by the  

shaking of a tambourine. Chanting and singing, Preacher Dan and The  

Chosen Ones descended the steps of the Capitol to the churchmobile, a  

Winabego mobile home converted for church purposes. They climbed on  

and the churchmobile slowly drove away followed by an eclectic crowd  

of supporters, off on their crusade against filth and trash.


Denver, Icky and Freedom were smoking a joint in the Galaxy, which  

was to remain parked outside the Benjamin Levy gallery for the  

duration of the exhibition. It was intended to function as an  

interactive installation focusing on the combined elements of art and  

home, gallery and street. Icky created an installation in the back  

using stained american flags and Fotoroids of assholes.

Denver and Icky both knew that the place was going to be packed. The tired art crowd with some bewildered business types  

thrown in, as well as the usual onslaught of local artists would all  

be present. The conversations would be meaningless and fleeting. 

The trivial cocktail art talk would debate the return of post-modernism,  

the emergence of virtualism, or the ongoing decline of artistic  

sensibility. Most present would agree that the decline was a serious  

issue but would deny having any affinity with it personally.  

Obviously, attending an art opening, they showed enough sensibility  

to quell any doubts about their artistic prowess.

“Hi Boys. Meow. Meow.”

“Hey. Meow. Meow. To you, too.” Nancy bent to greet Icky with a kiss  

on both cheeks, then leaned further into the Galaxy to do the same to  

Denver, and introduced herself to Freedom on the way. She slithered  

out and purred, “The town’s talking about you both. Should be a  

really big jamboree tonight. Everyone’s stopping by.” She batted Icky  

on the shoulder. “The invite says that you’ve been living in the  

galaxy for the past year.”

“Yap. This could be the last road trip for the Galaxy. It’s now a  

piece of art or a way of life, dependin’ on how you look at it.  

There’s documentation of my galaxy life in Sacto in the back of the  

gallery.”

“Hey Denver. I heard you’re moving. Meow. Sad Day.”

“Yeah.’’ He stuck out his lower lip. “It’s time to move on.”

“What are you going to do, Icky?”

“I dunno. I’m kinda stuck here. At least the car is. I might make  

some road trips.” He turned his head and smiled at Freedom. “Who knows.”

“I came early to get a look at all the stuff you’re offering. Are you  

selling the commando armchair. How much do you want to sell it for?”

“Everything is marked. The prices are negotiable, depending on your  

economic class. Astro Bob and his crew are there to take bids. I  

decide who gets what and for how much.”

“Oooh. That’s wicked. Meow.”

“No. Just straight trade.”

“How’s your darling mom?”

“Funny that you think so.” He got out of the car and circled the front.

“Boy, Denver. That’s a lot of yellow. Head to toe.”

“Thanks.” He stood sharp for a moment to allow Nancy to get a good look.

“Fabulous.”

He walked over to Nancy and they leaned together on the polished  

exterior of the Galaxy. “Listen to this. Things changed really fast  

for her after my dad died. I guess she’d been planning her escape for  

some time. She moved to Chico. Get this, Mom, alias Fraulein Debby,  

was seeing this guy from there, who she met on the web. He’s the one  

who took her to the Young Millionaires Gala.”

“I can’t believe it. The intrigue never stops.”

“And listen to this.” He knew of her craving for the latest society  

news. “This guy is also the father of Freedom’s daughter. And,  

Freedom also ran into her ex-husband at the gala.” He stopped and  

glanced quickly at Icky and Freedom in the car. “Ah. Forget it. It’s  

too complicated. I’ll tell you later. Anyway. Freedom drove up from  

Fresno with some friends of ours and surprised Icky with a visit.  

He’s as happy as a pig in a poke. The funny thing is how we’re  

somehow all connected.”

“You know, Denver, sometimes this city is better than Peyton Place. I  

didn’t know valley life could be so exciting.”

“ At least it is for my mom. She’s like the only one, who really did  

good in this whole story. Funny huh? She did freak out a bit though  

when I told her that I moved my whole apartment to the gallery and am  

selling all the stuff. Most of that crap was hers anyway, junk she  

gave me whenever she upgraded at the mall.”

“Well, you’re looking pretty upgraded yourself.”

“Thanks. You’re looking purr-ty too.”

“Meow. Meow Denver.” She vogued for a moment. “The coat I got from  

Linda. It’s dyed goat.”

“Sure is.’’ He smiled. “Nice.”

“So. You’re going to squat at Benny’s?”

“Yep. For six weeks and then I’m out of here.”

“Oh sad day. Where are you going to go?”

“I thought I might go to france.”

“France? That’s alien. Are any of your tee-shirts for sale?”

“Yeah, I got a few in there along with the rest of my clothes. Why?”

“You never know. I might need one sometime for inner strength.” She  

opened her foot-long cocktail purse and took out a cigarette. “So,  

what’s happening with your apartment?” She took a light from his  

yellow Bic.

“It’s being demolished.”

“What! Not that nice old victorian.”

“Hi, guys,” Steve grunted as he suddenly rolled up on a bicycle.  

“Icky. Is it okay if I lock my Cosmo to the Galaxy?”

“Hey Art Shit.” Icky stuck out his hands to be slapped.

“I thought you were the Art Shit.”

They exchanged masculine arm waves.

“I was until I became the Art Fuck. Art Shit suits you better.”

“No. I am the Art Hole.”

“Guys,” Nancy meowed, “What are you talking about?”

“Haven’t you seen those Art Angles notices around town?” Denver  

leaned into Nancy to explain, “They set off a chain reaction.  

Everybody has been naming themselves the art this, the art that.”

“So what are you Denver?”

“I was the Art Martyr until the Art Angles banned me to paradise. So  

now I am the Art Marks.”

“So that’s what you’ve become,” the Art Fuck interjected, and slid  

his bike keys into his pants pocket.

“I have an idea who it might be,” Icky declared.

“Who?” all four responded in unison looking at Icky positioned in the  

driver’s seat.

“I think it’s your neighbor, Denver.”

“Janet?’’ Denver shook his head. “I don’t think so. The speed queen  

isn’t up to anything so political. She’s more like an Art Troll  

toiling in her garden than an Art Angles.’’

“No one knows who’s doing it?’’ Nancy inquired.

“As of yet, no one has confessed,’’ Steve added.

“Which adds to the mystery. I’d like to know why she’s doing it.’’

“Or he,’’ Denver suggested.

“Or he,’’ Icky repeated. “But I don’t think so. So what’s Nancy?’’

“Yeah. Who am I supposed to be?’’

“Let me see.”

“The Art …”

“Kitty!”

“Meow. Meow. I like that and what is Freedom?”

“Ah.” Icky smiled and rubbed Freedom’s shoulder. “We’ve been trying  

to figure that out for awhile. And we’ve come up with the Art  

Anomaly. I think that suits her the best.”

A few of the local dignitaries were starting to arrive so Denver  

decided to make a move. “The Galaxy looks fabulous, dude.” He flicked  

his cigarette into the street and patted the hood of the car. “I’ll  

see you all inside.” He pushed himself away from the side of the  

automobile and entered the gallery space.

With a glass of wine from the buffet table in hand, he surveyed his  

masterpiece one last time before it was scattered to bits by the  

onslaught of art bargain hunters.

Denver had recreated his apartment as an installation with the altar  

as its centerpiece. His computer was positioned between the silver  

dollar and the now entirely wax-engulfed Madonna statue, and was  

linked to the website with the lightbulb, and the amplified sound of  

high voltage electricity humming in the background. There was another  

monitor on each side, both playing documentation about the tragedy at  

the F.T.C. that he had recorded. On the ground in front of the altar,  

was the carved dining room table. The yellow boxes set on low  

platforms and opened to display their contents to bargain hunters  

were in two rows flanking a pathway to the altar. On the wall  

opposite hung the tribute to Dee.

The rest of space was littered with most of the other artifacts from  

his apartment, which he had managed to cover, dust, dye, glaze or  

paint yellow. He was ready to recount, if necessary, the origin of  

each object, in order to transmit his personal attachment and give  

meaning to the object being acquired.

Denver had also planned nightly art events throughout the exposition  

and invited his friends to participate in the running of an art  

salon. With their help, there was to be a hair jamboree, a save sex  

party for men only, evening poetry slams, virtual and interactive art  

chats, soul-stretching classes, and loud music on the weekends by the  

Slugs, Screaming Pygmies, Squishes, Mosquitoes and maybe even the  

Geniuses if they could find time in their busy schedule.

Tonight, the cheap white wine would flow, served instead of red to  

avoid stains on the wall-to-wall gray industrial carpet. People would  

come to him, address him by his last name, know intimate details of  

his life, and smile. He would vaguely place their faces and search  

for clues to their identities in the manner in which they addressed  

him. More often than not, he would have to ask a friend to help him  

get their names off his tongue.

The hair, the dyed Pierre Darwin dancing shoes, the yellow tuxedo he  

had purchased at Big Mona’s Fast Trash, would blare in contrast to  

the gaggle of black-dressed art patrons congregating to mourn the  

demise of art.

A perfect neo-errorist performance action. If they only knew, he  

thought. “Mr. Griess. Do you remember me?” Of course, Denver  

remember the woman standing in front of him, claw extended. It was  

hard to forget a face in a small city like sacramento. It was just  

the names that were difficult. He did however remembered a lengthy  

double-barrel name from the business card she had given him when he  

had picked up a grant form from the Sacramento Metropolitan Arts  

Commission, SMAC.

“Yeah. I remember. We met at SMAC.’’ He shook her hand.

“Strong work.” She nodded, and glanced around at the installation.  

“We hear you are leaving.”

“Yap.” He was surprised that she knew this detail. “Word gets around  

fast.” He took a sip of his wine. “I’ve gone minimal. As little as  

possible. I have opened wide the front door of my life.’’ He waved  

his free arm in front of him. “I have gone public. I have put an end  

to the easy way of life. Something exciting is going to happen and  

whatever it is, it’s going to be new and therefore different.

“Instead of being tired and boring.” The Art Kitty brushed up to his  

side. “Hello Linda Czchevitza-Mencina,” she purred, paw extended.

“You said it. Hey Kitty, is the Art Fuck working his video camera?”

“Hello, Miss Feldman.” She looked a bit taken aback by Denver’s  

ejaculation. “Too bad, Sacramento is losing an artist. I do hope you  

decide to come back.” She shook Nancy’s and Denver’s hands 

and walked over to Astro Bob and pulled the same stunt.

“Art Bitch,” Denver whispered under his breath. “If her lousy  

organization would support the local talent instead of repressing  

them with needless administration, I might’ve stayed.”

“Do you want a shot of Vodka?” The Art Kitty pulled a flask from her  

fur-covered purse. “Here’s to your show.” She took a slug. “Da. Ja  

loobloo Vodka.” The Art Kitty puckered her lips and handed Denver the  

flask.

“Can you teach me how to say, eat my weenie, in russian?” He took a  

slug.

“Gee. Art Fag. My russian is not that good. Look who’s coming.” The  

Art Kitty jabbed out a paw. “It’s Margaret Kuckel, probably drunk off  

her butt, and we’re going to be cornered.” She grabbed the flask >from  

Denver, screwed on the cap and hid it in her purse.

“Quick. Who is she?”

Nancy thought for a second, “Art Gringo.”

“Art Gringo?’’ He shook his head. “That’s weird.’’

“I don’t know.’’ She guessed again, “The Art Drunk?’’

“No, the Art Lush.”

“Perfect. Meow. Meow.”

They both laughed.

“Hi, Denver. Hi, Nancy.” Margaret sloshed over and put her hand on the  

wall, effectively blocking any possible escape. “You know what I like  

about you two?” She did not wait for a reply. “I can really talk to  

you both.” She pursed her lips and stared blankly at Denver. “By the  

way, Denver.” She tapped him on the chest. “Great installation. I  

always loved your apartment. Everything found or gotten. God, I know  

what that’s like. My parents are constantly dumping their junk at my  

house. All this yellow. I didn’t think you were serious when you took  

on yellow as your corporate logo. I want the toaster. Does it still  

work? Robert is in his glory acting the full-fledged Virgo. Did you  

know he’s double Virgo. You always knew who was really sitting in  

that leather Eams chair in the galaxy …’’ She hiccupped. “I mean,  

gallery office. Look at him go.”

They all glanced over to Robert working the party.

“Go Astro Bob. Go.” Denver looked at Margaret. “We like talking to  

you, too.”

“Oh god. That reminds me. Did I ever tell you that I was a belly  

dancer?”

Denver and Nancy nodded their head affirmatively, but Margaret kept  

going.

“Oh yeah. It’s true, and a real good one at that. I was skinny as a  

rail. Did you know, I was in Oaxaca last winter?”

No one in Sacramento did not know that Margaret had been in Mexico  

last winter. It had been her topic of conversation for months.

“I think so. You were in …” Denver attempted to reply.

“Well, it was great. I spent one month in a cave, chanting my brains  

out, synchronizing my alpha and beta brain waves.” She placed her  

fingertips to her temples. “Of course, I had to pay out the ass for  

it, but it worked wonders for me. The first thing I did when I left  

the cave was hug a tree. Can you believe that? I hugged this tree for  

what seemed like days and I actually tuned in to its past life. It  

had once been a palm tree in ancient Egypt, and a mulberry in some  

courtyard in France. My spiritual guide Jesús was moved to tears.”

“Look, Art Fag,” Nancy said, seizing the window of opportunity, “I  

just saw the Art Fuck and the Art Shit come in. It looks like he’s  

got the camera.”

“Art Hole,” Denver corrected, “and I’m the Art Marks.”

“The Art Hole, Art Fag, Art Shit? Fuck!” Margaret spluttered in  

confusion.

“Art Lush?” Denver interjected. “Yeah Margaret. Haven’t you seen the  

posters on telephone poles around town? This whole Art Angles, Art  

Martyr, Art Marks thang?”

“Oh yeah. Someone was telling me about it. Pretty funny. It’s hard to  

keep track of things when you are living bi-nationally. You know I  

can speak two languages, like you.”

“Esse muy bien de saber. Il espanol. Si?”

“Yeah.” She leaned on the wall to gain focus. “So what am I?”

“I told you. The Art Lush.”

She jerked upright and pursed her lips.

“Well, okay then. I thought maybe the Art Lush, since you drink a  

lot. But on second thought, you’re also kind of an opportunistic type  

of artist. So maybe, the Art Gringo is better.”

“What do you mean, I am not opportunistic. I don’t think that’s funny. “

“Margaret, your art is simply copies of mexican papier-mâché dolls,  

only in over-dimensional form. That’s kind of opportunistic, if you  

know what I mean. There should be a hint of truth behind the name.  

Art Martyr, Art Fag, Art Hole.”

“Who’s the Art Hole?”

“Icky.”

“Yeah. The Art Ass Hole would be better. That suits him good. And who  

are you?”

“I was the Art Fag, then the Art Martyr …”

“That suits,” she huffed.

“But now I am the Art Marks.”

“Art Fag is better.”

“Already taken. That’s Bruce now.”

“Maybe you should have a double name, like the Art Marks-Fag or …”

“Hi Denver.”

Denver was happy to be saved from the Art Gringo-Lush although his  

rescuer was the Art Diva, who was dressed in black from head to toe,  

with her shoulder-length straight hair held back by a headband. “Hi  

Belinda.”

“Show looks great. What’s happening tonight? Are the Geniuses playing?”

“No. They might be playing later on in the month. Who told you?”

“The drummer.” Her darted eyes past Denver, scanning the room for  

someone more interesting.

“He said he’d do it?”

“No. He just mentioned that you’d asked. So there’s nothing happening  

here tonight?”

“Yeah. My opening.” Belinda’s apathy disgusted him. “It’s an art sale  

jamboree. You love to shop. Isn’t that enough?”

“I know your apartment. I didn’t know it was a piece of art,” she  

stated and laughed coarsely, swinging her black vinyl purse at her  

side all the while.

“You didn’t know it was a work of art?”

“Of course I did, Denver. I’ll talk to you later.” She tapped him on  

the shoulder. “Great installation.” She made a beeline over to Linda  

Czchevitza-Mecina and Astro Bob.

“She didn’t even say hello, the bitch.”

Denver felt a momentary sense of camaraderie.

“She is an Art Bitch.”

“Wait. Linda Chuchueetza-Mendocino is already the Art Bitch.”

“Well, you got that right,” she confirmed and shrugged her left  

shoulder. “They can be Art Bitches together.”

“How ’bout the Art Witch,” Denver suggested.

“The Art Witch. That works. Get a load of her skin. It’s got a kind  

of a greenish glow under this fluorescent lighting. Not very  

flattering, if you ask me.” She turned to him. “Bathroom break. I’ll  

talk to you later.” Margaret freed Denver of her company and within  

seconds Icky and the Freedom had filled his personal bubble.

“Denver, look what I got. José gave me some dope as a gift. Freedom’s  

already rolled a joint. Let’s go and smoke it in the Galaxy.”

“Yahoo. Here’s to the show.”

They clinked glasses to their success.

“Boy, Astro Bob is just rainin’ on the compliments, he loves the  

postcards and the Fotoroids. He said he really likes the photo of the  

obese lady at the swimmin’ pool and the gardeners doin’ the lawn in  

front of your parents’ burnt house.’’

“He’s being his flippant and amusing self, and working the party. As  

usual. Maybe he should run for Art Mayor,” Denver suggested.

“Fuckmother mother piss cunt,” a voice broke free from the babble of  

light conversation.

“No. There’s already an Art Mayor.” Icky went to search for Natty in  

the crowd.

Denver spotted April May, dressed in native buckskin separates,  

looking larger than life. They called her the Art Statement, so named  

because her résumé was eleven pages long, chock full of banal  

artistic philosophy and a list of every minute act of art that she  

had ever undertaken from childhood to the present. She was talking to  

the woman with one name, Hossanah, the Art Hippie who always looked  

like she had put on everything in her closet at once and gotten tired  

in the process.

“Hey Natty.”

Icky arrived with Natural Childbirth and a jug-shaped bottle of  

complimentary wine. “Hey, you stopped by. That’s great.’’

“Yeah. We’re doing our first gig, fuck, since we finished touring,  

fuck, tonight.” Natty’s head jerked to one side. “It’s a benefit  

concert for the free health, fuck, clinic, at the Townhouse, down the  

street. We like, fuck, did the sound check and I thought I’d stop by.’’

“Glad you did. Just tell me when you want to do something here. It’d  

be great, art music by the Art Mayor.’’

“Yeah dude, sounds bitchin.’’

“I’ll probably see you at the Townhouse after this winds up.’’

“Hi Natty. Hi Denver. Hi Micky.” It was Sheila Kwok, the Art Phoebe,  

so baptized because of the campaign she had launched to encourage  

people to participate in local art events instead of fearing them as  

elitist symbols. It had hopelessly failed, however, for lack of  

interest. People were not afraid of art. They just did not care about it.

“Icky.”

“Oh yeah. You changed your name. I love your Fotoroids, especially  

the fat kid with the blow-up float, and the pool cleaner. Do you know  

who he is?’’

“Sheila, this is Freedom.”

The two women shook hands.

“I like your dress,” Denver prompted.

“You like?” She said and twirled around to fully display her  

creation. “This dress saved 200 gallons of water. I made it myself.  

Completely out of paper. It’s amazing what you can do with recycled  

paper nowadays.”

Denver spotted Robert slithering through the crowd, weaving his way  

towards the group. On the way, he stopped to shake hands with every  

acquaintance, and express a generic, ’Hi. How are you? Glad you could  

come’. When Robert finally made it over to them, he smiled and said,  

“Denver. You’ve done a great job. You too Icky. People are  

interested. What a wonderful idea!’’ He smiled at the two women.

“Freedom.’’

“Hi. Nice to meet you.’’ He shook her hand and moved on to Sheila.  

“Hi Sheila. How are you? Great dress. I’m glad you could come.’’

“I’m sorry Denver that I was a little skeptical at first. But you  

proved me wrong.”

Denver and Icky accepted his compliment with a smile.

Robert waved at someone and walked off.

“That’s the gallery owner?’’ Freedom inquired.

Sheila twirled around and whispered something to Freedom before  

wandering off.

“Denver, look. Catherine Lyon just walked in with her alter ego, the  

Art Fag.”

“I forget who Catherine Lyon is.”

“You know. The chic who always wears sunglasses, the tin can  

sculptress. We baptized her the Art Ho. “ Icky pointed to himself. “I  

know the real reason she wears those glasses. She’s got a floatin’  

eye and she looks pretty stupid when she’s talkin’ to you without the  

glasses. You’re never sure which eye you’re talkin’ to.”

“I’ve always wanted to rip those sunglasses off her face. I didn’t  

know they were there for a medical reason. Poor thing.”

“And she’s forever got a string of men hangin’ around her with some  

faint connection to art. But most wind up as her clients.” Icky  

chuckled. “I wonder how many men have her explodin’ pussy tin can  

sculpture. I wouldn’t want such a sharp object around.” He took a  

gulp of his wine. “Look at all these brand names.” He waved his wine  

glass at the crowd. “All these collapsin’ shiny people.”

“Do you want to hit the Townhouse after this party comes into  

bounds?” Denver held out his wine glass for a refill.

“Yeah man. I wanna go. Natty asked me to jam with him on the sax. “  

He poured some wine from the jug of Chablis.

“Is someone playing outside? I hear drums.”

“Maybe. I hear something too. Let me go check.” He handed the jug to  

Freedom.

“Hey Denver. Who’s that woman who just walked in?” She asked while  

filling her glass, and then set the jug on the floor.

“Where?”

“There.” She pointed to direct Denver line of vision, “Dressed in  

black. The woman with the cropped white hair, holding a bunch of  

flowers. Don’t you see her?”

“Why, it’s Vella I-am-the-anti-christ Schwartzmann,” Denver  

exclaimed. “I didn’t think she would come.”

“Wow. What is she?

“She’s the Art Boo.”

“No. What does she do?”

“Oh. She’s a fabulous artist. She’s got a show up the street at Big  

Art, Big Hair, though I don’t think an artist of her caliber should  

be exhibiting in a hair salon, even if it is her friend’s. She’s  

museum quality.” He waved to Vella. “You know, it’s gotten so bad for  

local artists that we are forced to undermine respect for our work by  

exhibiting in beauty parlors.”

“Well, brother. I know what you’re talking about. It’s everywhere. I  

could describe the same scene in every city. There’s no hope.  

Banality lives on throughout the western world. History repeats  

itself in perpetual redundancy.”

“So here are your dead flowers.” Vella looked up at Denver and  

presented him with her gift.

“Oh, they are beautiful.”

“And look. I never unwrapped them. I bought them one time and forgot  

where I left them in the studio. Aren’t they lovely roses? I thought  

you would like them.”

“And they’re yellow.” He took the bouquet from Vella.

“And they’re yellow. How about that?” She patted the bouquet with her  

blacked tipped fingers. “Matches your outfit.”

“Thanks Vella.” He bent over to give her a kiss on her powdered cheek.

“Hey Denver.” Roger approached with white-trash wife in tow, right  

arm slung around her shoulders. “How come you didn’t invite me to do  

something during your show? Fuck Denver, after all I’ve done for you.”

“Get over it, Roger.” Denver went on the defensive. “You haven’t done  

any art for the past two years.”

“I think you’re stupid for not inviting him,” his wife spat out.

“I have a wife and kid to support. That’s why I fix cars.”

“Roger. Get over the fact that everyone owes you something.”

“Some thanks I get. It’s no wonder no one gets anywhere in this town.  

We don’t stick together.” He shook his finger in Denver’s face. “Fuck  

you, you art fag. I never want to talk to you again.” Then he walked  

away, dragging his wife.

Vella and Denver looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders in  

unison.

“What was that all about?” Freedom asked.

“Don’t ask me. I am always the last to know when someone hates me.”  

He surveyed the gallery crowd. “Shit. Everyone here has a gimmick.  

Look at me, yellow. Or take the Art Phoebe, that dress, or the Art  

Kitty, meow meow.” Denver squatted to refill his glass. “And there  

goes the Art Licker, Tom Brat.”

“You can say that again,” Vella piped in. “Did you know he got  

$50,000 for the central library? That grant we all applied for like a  

bunch of screaming yahoos, and then, as usual, SMAC gives it to  

someone who’s not even from Sacramento.”

“Denver!” Icky came running up “It’s not Natty playin’. There’s some  

protesters outside. They’ve surrounded the gallery.”

The four made their way to the front of the gallery and saw a group  

of angry demonstrators beating on drums and chanting. Some 

were lying on the ground, making entry difficult for those arriving. Confronted with what could be art, most newcomers chose to remain standing outside. An extra set of beats were added when Natty took out his drums sticks and started beating out an accompanying rhythm on the  

Galaxy’s hood.

“Shit.” Icky turned to Denver. “I think we got a scandal on our hands.”

“Who is that guy? He looks like Elvis,” Freedom asked and snapped a  

shot of Preacher Dan standing on the churchmobile.

“He does, doesn’t he?” Icky said and made his way outside to mingle  

in the crowd, with the other three following in his wake. “Look at  

the Art Phoebe twirlin’. Her dress is sure goin’. I hope it doesn’t  

fly off.”

“Hey, Astro Bob is getting involved. I wonder what he thinks he can do?”

“Debauchery all around us.” Preacher Dan’s voice bellowed from the  

speakers. “Sin and filth.” He waved his free arm over the crowd. “The  

complete moral decay of our beloved Sacramento. But we have the  

perpetrators cornered.”

Robert jumped up and tried to grab the microphone from Preacher Dan’s  

hand but two members of the church blocked him.

“I think they’re serious,” the Art Lush came up and commented. “Maybe  

you should of rethought showing those nude paper collages, you’ve got  

all over the installation.” Margaret took off for center stage.  

“Alleluia!” she yelled, arm raised in the air, wine glass in hand.

“We don’t have to take this filth anymore. It is a disease. Do not  

continue to walk on by. It is time to stop in your tracks and say, ’I  

do not want this filth.’”

“Walk on by!” Icky shouted and pushed his way closer to the center of  

the crowd.

“Like some of you people have done by walking over those lying on the  

streets.” He pointed to the art crowd. “You did not ask if they need  

help. You only stopped and watched.”

“Stopped and watched,” voices from the crowd testified.

Preacher Dan felt the crowd’s attention gathering. “These people are  

the cause of the society’s moral unraveling.”

“I am a sinner!” Icky yelled.

“Me too.”

“Me too.”

“Me three.”

Preacher Dan kept blasting away at his mission, and soon the entire  

crowd was hooting and hollering, each trying to top each other’s  

fervent support for the reverend. Unknowingly, he had whipped up a  

mighty amount of enthusiasm, especially among those who were the  

focus of the protest. Spontaneous performance art or religious event,  

both artists and christians were enthralled by the sermon.

Margaret was in front of the churchmobile on her knees repeating his  

every word, twisting her vocabulary until she was raving. Others had  

joined in, lying prostrate, cuddling those near them on the ground,  

or speaking in tongues. But Preacher Dan paused for a moment in  

suspicion when even Robert was overcome and crossed himself.

Freedom had been moving around taking photos but suddenly felt  

impelled to participate even though she had no idea why the Art Crowd  

was being taken to such extremes. She took off her sunglasses, looked  

up at the sky, unbuttoned her blouse to expose her left breast, and  

started to sing La Marseillaise.

Others joined in beating out a rhythm on the Galaxy. A group of punks  

were circling around the Art Phoebe, the Art Diva, and the Art Boo.  

Sheila was twirling so fast that her paper dress actually did fly off  

and she was soon reduced to a few dangling sheets of paper.

Taking the cue, the Art Diva suddenly unbuttoned her black blouse and  

pulled out her breasts to expose them to the reverend, and shouted,  

“I know what god wants.”

Vella, not to be out done by the Art Diva, lifted up her skirt, and  

exposed her black lace panties.

“It is written,” Preacher Dan’s shouted, “We don’t need this  

perverted art thing.”

At that point The Chosen Ones lined up behind Preacher Dan and broke  

out in a protest song especially written for the occasion:


I got a family

and healthy kids

I want to keep it that way

don’t need no sin.


The punks skipped faster at the sight of exposed female anatomy.  

Freedom stopped singing and melted into the crowd. Vella was now bent  

over, her skirt over her head, black lace panties fluttering in the  

wind. Preacher Dan was both shocked and excited by the opportunity  

for voyeurism and the choir sang on:


there are perverts

who expose themselves

let’s get rid of them

send them to hell.


“Oh shit.” Icky slapped his forehead. “Look who’s singin’ up there  

behind Elvis.” He nudged Denver. “It’s that girl I met at the  

swimmin’ pool when we drove out to Lemon Heights and took advantage  

of the suburban amenities.”

“Who are you talking about?”

“That girl on stage,” he said pointing, “the one standin’ with Elvis  

at the mike.”

“The one you left me at the pool for.”

“Yeah. She’s the one with that stupid dog who tore up my shoes and  

made me go barefoot for the summer.” He made eye contact with her and  waved. “I never thought she’d be messed up with a Holy Elvis.”

“Is this for real?’’ Freedom was now behind the two, camera  

positioned on The Chosen Ones.

“It’s for real.” They both nodded.

“Icky thinks he knows one of the singers.’’

“Which one?’’ Freedom snapped away.


take heed, take heed

this so called art thing

it’s not pretty.

it’s not what we need.


“Micky!” Crystal’s voice rang out.

Icky pushed his way through the crowd.

“Crystal!” Freedom cried out, and followed Icky to the churchmobile.

“Mom!” Crystal was obviously shaken by the sudden appearance of both  

Icky and her mom. She broke stage presence, tripped and fell into  

their arms.

“She’s your daughter?” Icky asked Freedom as they lowered Crystal to  

the street.

“Yeah.”

“Mom! Micky! What are you doing here?”

Before pandemonium broke loose, Icky managed to state, “Um, I guess,  

where you go you take yourself?”




No comments:

Post a Comment