Friday, March 12, 2021

Chapter 18. mr. mueller - Sick Sacraments

 18. mr. mueller


“Hey you!” came a grunt from an automobile as it pulled into the  

parking lot of La Bou Bakery. Martin squinted looking through the  

heat waves rising from the black-tarred surface.

“You sun of a gun. Is that you?” came a yell from the red Fiat  

convertible as it drove up to the shade of the blue and white striped  

canvas awning hanging from the facade of the white concrete building.  

“Martin, over here.”

Martin moved slowly over to where the car was now parking, stood at  

the passenger side and tried to place the face of the driver.

“What the hell have you been up to? I haven’t seen you in years. You  

still live in the valley?” It was Mike Mueller manager of the Fresno  

Community Theater or FCT for short.

Martin and Mike had been classmates and jack-off buddies during their  

high school days. Mike had often wanted to try anal intercourse with  

Martin during their budding pubescence adolescence, but Martin had  

always found an excuse to butt out. “I’m surprised I recognized you,”  

he said looking up at Martin through his sunglasses.

A moment of silence passed as Mike pushed his seat back and squeezed  

himself free from the wretched seating in the sportscar. He opened  

the driver’s door and slowly raised his massive weight to standing  

position and kicked out his left leg to loosen the underwear bunched  

at his crotch. He turned to Martin and they shook hands over the red  

leather interior.

“We haven’t seen each other since Norma Child.”

Martin knitted his eyebrows, trying to remember this man’s name.

“It’s great to see someone from the past. Do you remember our days at  

Bullock High?” He adjusted his borrowed hairpiece, which he was  

wearing like a hat because his quality model had blown off and he was  

too lazy to pay for a real one. “Wow, you don’t look too good,  

Martin. Did you have a lobotomy?”

“Oh Yeah.” It finally clicked. Martin remembered the face but not the  

name. “Nice car. Sorry. I’m on medication. I’m a bit hazy.”

“Aren’t we all. What are you on?”

“They’ve given me Morotox.”

“That’s a good one. I took it when I wrenched my back during sex.  

There are no real side-effects.”

“No. I mean, yeah. I still live here, in Fresno.” He walked to meet  

Mike under the awning. “Dee and I have a house off of Fruit.”

“Dee! Boy, she was sure a lot of fun. Remember that time at the  

Zombie Hut for the senior dinner?” He put his left arm around  

Martin’s shoulders. “Watching the Hula dancers while eatin’ poi with  

our fingers. Boy, that was strange tastin’ stuff.” He opened the door  

of the french suburban bakery and motioned for Martin to enter first.  

“We haven’t seen each other in so long! You used to be so sporty,  

what happened to you?”

Martin stood in place and answered, “Uh. I had an accident at work.”

Mike burst into laughter before Martin could finish explaining. “Did  

a client get violent?” He let go of the door. “You’re still in  

advertising, aren’t you?”

“No. I mean yeah, I still do advertising but I just quit Madd & Son.”

“Why? They got mad and threw a filing cabinet at you?”

“Even better.” Martin started to smile. “The scar on the right is  

from a coffee mug and this scar …” He pointed to his stitches. “… is  

from a pastry box filled with donuts that landed on my head. The  

reason why I looked all bruised is because Mr Thorndorn, my new boss,  

kicked me in the face.”

There was a moment of silence as Mike looked at Martin in  

astonishment. “Jesus, you’re joking.” He reopened the door.

“No, I’m serious. It really happened at my new job. Realife hired me  

the other day. They’re paying sick leave until I start. I’ll be  

working in their advertising department.”

“Is that why you have a new haircut? Is that the corporate doo?” He  

laughed. “Tell me Martin …” He put his arm around Martin’s shoulder  

again and guided him into the bakery. “… do you really think you are  

going to sell gm seeds and chemicals the way you look. Martin, you  

look like a case in point for going bio.”

“I know. Dee frightened me when I came home from the hospital the  

first time. I had to go back after I saw her. I spent a couple of  

nights there for observation.”

“If she looks so bad that was probably a wise decision.” He chuckled.  

“I’m surprised that they let you out. But I am a little lost. First  

you went to the hospital because someone hit you over the head with a  

pastry box. Then you went back because you saw your Dee? “

Martin laughed. “Yeah. See, they gave me some pills and I had a couple  

of drinks at the Rusty Cow. When I got home I saw Dee lying on the  

sofa. She had passed out doing her exercises. I didn’t know that. I  

panicked and had a coughing fit and started wheezing. The phone was  

ringing and when I tried to answer it, I tripped over the coffee table.”

Mike mimed speechlessness, hand to mouth.

“I’m okay. It looks worse than it feels. I’ve got a whole range of  

drugs to keep the pain away and I don’t feel a thing. But I know what  

you mean.” He waved his hand over his head. “Until I heal I’m free  

and …”

“They can’t be serious,” Mike interrupted. “You know Martin, we got a  

wig department. Come down to the theater, we’ll fix you up.” He  

laughed heartily at an image of Martin in drag that came to mind.  

Martin remained silent. “You were saying?”

Martin had lost his train of thought.

“You were saying something about your job.”

“Oh Yeah. I started work at Realife on sick leave.”

“Well, that’s a good deal. The way you look, I suppose you can keep  

that going for a while.” He leaned in closer. “Tell me Martin. What  

really did happen to you?”

“I told you. I had a run in with a coffee cup, got kicked in the  

face, and it really did happen with the pastry box.”

“Once again …” Mike took a step back in disbelief, hand to chest. “…  

this proves that reality is scarier than fiction.”

“I don’t know where the box came from but it landed point down and  

ripped the hell out of my head.” He held back a sneeze. “That’s why I  

got these twelve stitches and this wacko haircut. It looks pretty  

bad, huh?”

Mike only nodded and looked away smiling.

“I’m on my way to Realife. I need to sign some documents so I thought  

I’d drop off a few donuts, see if Mr. Cole is around and bring the  

receptionist a new coffee mug.”

“Whoa. Well, I’ll be a pecker, run that name by me again. Mr. Cole,  

works at Realife? He’s not the big honcho there, is he?”

“No. That’ll be Mr. Thorndorn.”

“Yeah right, Mr. Thorndorn. You said it before. Now it clicks. I’ll  

be stupid. Mr. Thorndorn.” He snapped his fingers. “Realife! Now I  

get it. Yeah, and you’re now working for them? Wait a minute. How did  

he kick you in the face?”

“That detail, I am a bit vague about. But afterwards he asked me to  

come to work for Realife.”

“Well I’ll be a son of a possum. What a wonderful coincidence! So you  

know the people at the Realife?”

“Not that well. I just started. I was working with them on another  

project before, though.”

“Here, I’ll let you in on something. Did you know that Realife is  

renting the FCT for some millionaire gala event? That’s why I didn’t  

get it at first. They’re calling themselves The Young Millionaires.  

Miss Powers is the one I’ve been talking to when I call up,a  

receptionist with a sunny air about her. I can’t remember her first  

name. Something like Mandy or Fanny.”

“Candi Powers. And that was her cup that smashed on my head. 

I gave  it to her.”

“This is sounding like some weird theater piece. Who smashed 

the cup  on your head?”

“Mr. Cole.”

“And what happened to your nose?” Mike stepped up to the display case.

“I said, Mr. Thorndorn kicked me in the nose.”

“Yeah, you did tell me that. And did Miss Powers stitch your head  

together with a stapler?”

“I know it’s hard to believe.” Martin snorted a laugh and a wrench of  

pain jolted through his nostrils, which caused his eyes to water and  

his nose to bleed. A trickle of blood rolled slowly down his jaws.

Mike watched, wondering momentarily how long it would take before  

Martin became aware of his injury and licked up his blood.

“It was partly my fault, damnedest thing. I smashed into Mr. Cole  

with full force. I was running to the bathroom because I had to  

sneeze and blew a big wad of snot in my hand. There was this delivery  

boy involved. I don’t know where he came from. Yeah. That’s why I got  

kicked in the face.” He reached up and touched his upper lip as Mike  

moved over to the napkin holder. “Oh my god! It’s bleeding again.”  

Martin wheezed.

Mike handed him a pile of napkins. “Boy, you don’t feel anything.  

Listen to me,” Mike said, and tapped Martin, who was holding the wad  

under his nose, on the shoulder. “There’s this organization called  

the Young Millionaires and they meet once a year in cities around the  

country. Here, let me buy you a donut. What do you want?” Mike could  

not make out Martin’s muffled wish and just ordered a jelly filled, a  

chocolate glazed, an old fashion and a glaze twist.

“… and a café Lachito.”

“Café Lachito for him and a café au lait to go for me,” Mike told the  

man behind the counter. “And put deux pains au chocolate in another  

bag pour moi.”

He handed him some money and waited for the order. Martin reached  

into his pocket, pulled out some loose change, and held it out to Mike.

“Martin,” Mike turned quickly and knocked Martin’s handful of coins  

to the floor. “Whoa. I’m sorry.”

Martin bent over, searching for his fallen treasure with one hand  

while still holding the napkin to his nose with the other.

“That’s okay, sir. I’ll do it.” The bakery attendant raced around the  

counter and assisted Martin in his search for the lost coins as Mike  

casually looked on.

“Excuse me sir. I saw you walk in.” He rose and handed Martin the  

coins. “I want to apologize for causing you so much pain.”

“Why? What did you do?” Martin counted his change.

“I was the one at Realife with the pastry box.”

“Oh my god!” Mike exclaimed. “So the whole story is true. You did get  

clobbered by a pastry box.”

Martin nodded.

“So you work for the Realife, too?”

“Not any more. I got fired after the accident. The boss fired me on  

the spot. Luckily, I got this job at La Bou. They felt sorry for me  

when I told them at the interview what’d happened and they gave me  

this position.” He returned to the other side of the counter.

“What did happen?”

“I slipped on the wet floor when this police dog jumped on me, and up  

went this heavy pink box loaded with donuts and landed on this guy’s  

head.” He looked over at Martin. “I’m really sorry, sir.”

Martin accepted his apology with a nod.

“You know, Martin, it’s no secret that Thorndorn is a very rich man.  

He started Realife and put Fresno on the business map.”

“Here’s your change. Your coffees will be ready in a second.”

“Thanks.” Mike took the coins and carried his paper bags over to a  

high marble table.

Still using only one hand, Martin picked up his bag and followed.

“Fertilizers and Gen-seeds from the central valley spread around the  

world. Mr. Thorndorn belongs to this club called the Young  

Millionaires.” He opened his paper bag and pulled out a pastry.  

“Never heard of the organization before. Probably has something to do  

with the Free Masons, the KKK or the Olympics.”

After a brief pause, Martin suddenly asked, “Whatever happened to  

Martha Spitz?”

“I don’t know Martin, you’re the sports bum.” He took another bite of  

his pastry. “Boy, you threw me on that one. Morotox, huh? Now what was  

I saying?”

“The Olympics.”

“Oh yeah. These rich young honchos get together once a year to  

hobnob, discuss joint ventures, lobby each other for favors, rub  

shoulders, brown nose and what not. Mr. Thorndorn is 49 this year and  

it’s his last year as a young one.” He took a bit of his chocolate  

croissant. “I suppose after that he becomes an old millionaire or and  

an old fart. That’s why it’s in Fresno this year, they’re holding  

this big convention in the fall,” he said chewing, and wiped the  

crumbs that hung on his lips with a paper napkin. “They want the FTC  

to put together some sort of big variety show for the closing. You  

know, numbers from well-known musicals, costumes, pageantry. There’ll  

be a gala buffet after the show.”

“Your cafés au lait are ready,” Paul announced.

“I hadn’t either until his secretary, Miss Powers, called me.” He  

returned with the coffees and shouted, “Martin! This is perfect.” He  

pointed to Martin who had exchanged the bloodied napkins for a jelly  

donut and was now dribbling synthetic cherry jam from the corners of  

his mouth. “You want to be in a cabaret show? This will be perfect,  

especially now you’re working for Thorndorn. I’ll ask Miss Powers,  

too. It’ll be great to get a few employees from Realife. Oh, this  

will be great. So, what d’ya say? You up to doing it?”

“Sure. What do you mean?” Martin had not been following.

“I’m asking ya’ if you would like to be in the pageant I’m putting  

together at the FTC. We are even talkin’ to Niel Jung about coming up  

from Vegas and doing a guest appearance.”

“Uh. I don’t know. See …” Martin remembered the last time he had done  

work for Mike Mueller. It was for the Child One Woman show. Martin  

was a big fan of Norma Child and knew that his school friend was  

interning at the FTC. In a promise he would later regret, Martin said  

he would do anything Mike wanted as long as he could somehow meet his  

fan after the show. Mike took him up on the offer, got Martin drunk  

the night before the concert and finally got down his pants. This  

bittersweet memory of his first and only contact with homosexuality  

and Norma Child made him break out in sweat whenever he heard  

’Butterflies are free at the zoo.’

“I don’t know. Uh. What do I have to do?”

Mike put his hand to his chest, fondled the gold chains entwinded in  

his chest hair, and coyly said, “Don’t worry, Martin. You’ll be in  

costume. I think you’d be a perfect king of france. I’ll call you  

beforehand. We’ve still got some time. Here, give me your current  

number.”

Martin instinctively reached into his breast coat and pulled out a  

business card.

“Thanks. You’ll get a big dick out of it.” Mike coughed and glanced  

at Martin to see if he had caught the slur. “Naw, let me see. You can  

be the king of france and I’ll ask that Powers woman if she’d like to  

do Marie Antoinette.” He looked at the card. “This is from Realife.  

Don’t you have a number?”

“Pardon?”

“Hard On? Oh Martin, you are a real scream. I need your cell-phone  

number.” Mike took out his cell-phone and tapped in the numbers as  

Martin spoke. “I will give you mine.”

Martin punched a few buttons with his thumb and before handing him  

his cell-phone, instructed Mike to say his name and number.

“Oh you got one of those voice control phones. How convenient.” He  

handed the phone back to Martin who slipped it inside his new burnt  

orange company jacket. “We got some time, it’s not for a few months.  

Give me a call in a couple of days and we’ll talk about the dates.  

Don’t tell Candi. I’ll give her a call this afternoon. We’ll bud.  

I’ll be running off.” He tapped the table with both hands, collected  

his goods and blew some crumbs off the surface. “Don’t bother to ask  

me what’s going on at the theater. It’s some high school production  

about returning to eat dog vomit at the end of the world. Funny, I  

was thinking about Norma Child’s show the other day.” Martin suddenly  

shivered.

“Now the kids are talking about dog vomit and we sang about  

butterflies. And the world hasn’t changed one bit. Makes ya’ think,  

doesn’t it. Say hello to Dee.” He held up his hand to his face as if  

telephoning before waving and exiting the bakery, leaving Martin to  

finish chewing on his jelly filled.





No comments:

Post a Comment