Monday, March 15, 2021

Chapter 06. pretty pathetic or how to leave your man - Sick Sacraments

 06. pretty pathetic or how to leave your man


March 21.11 a.m. Already hot. 90°/56° Sunny, Blue Sky as usual. I got 

no money, paid the phone bill. Feelin’ lonely. Winter down under, 

first time snow in Perth. Mudslides in So. Cal.Dear Diary. Thank you 

for being there. I hope I’m not bothering you but I just don’t care 

anymore. I am bored out of my mind. I’m feelin’ lonely. Time hurts. I 

woke up with a toothache. Ouch. Beat a dead horse.

Live for today, that’s what people say. Time to think new thoughts. 

Same thing, day in and day out. I don’t handle being single very 

well. It is my weakness. I’d love to get over it, if only there was 

an easy way. There is no way. It just is. The state of sadness is a 

reality that can only be changed by external forces. I’d love to be 

in love but all the positive thinking in the world is not going to 

help get me to that state.

I’ve been to paradise. Now, I am in hell.

I’ve stayed around the ranch these past few days. Micky came by

to say hello and tell me about his latest adventures. Otherwise, I’ve 

been keeping myself pretty much busy so I wouldn’t have to think 

about my tragedy. It is not easy to forget someone I love, but I have 

to. And when I do, I will not love him anymore. Where do I put that 

love in the meantime? My ego doesn’t need to be fed. I love myself 

enough. Oh, ze problems whiz having a strong ego or iz it my 

overdeveloped id?

It was great sex. Sex that bonds, so I thought. For him, it was just 

a phase. A Phase! I can’t believe he said that to me and meant it. 

Sex is not just the dot on the ‘i’, but the ’I’ itself.

Lately, I’ve been asking myself how gay relationships are supposed 

to be defined? If supposedly the only thing that separates us from them 

is our sexuality, then it follows that we fags are going to have to 

develop sexual relationships that are different than straights’. So 

why are so many fags striving for assimilation, all S-creaming for 

marriage? Marriage is their way of saying contractual bondage. At 

least some of us call it what it is, S and M.

No. No. No sex until marriage. What a drag!

Okay, the honeymoon was over. It took two years. I tried to keep it 

going as long as possible but eventually the everyday did set in. We 

couldn’t get much higher. Dildos, fisting, LSD, marihuana, alcohol, 

special K, Tina. Sex weekends. Makes my dick hard just thinking about 

it, and I threw it all away because I wanted to take our relationship 

to a whole new level, I wanted to bring a third man. He wanted to be 

the macho in a hetero-marriage.

I couldn’t give Peach what he wanted. He couldn’t give me what I 

needed. There were no children to distract us. No shared future to 

divert our attention from the present. I needed intellectual 

stimulation. He needed a man twenty-four hours a day. I needed my 

space, and classical music don’t fit in my installation. He disliked 

my crazy artist friends and was bothered by my lightness of being. He 

shops department stores, I do thrift stores, junk sales and the 

occasional dumpster. He knows the price of everything he buys. I know 

the place of everything I’ve found.

I feel like he took my soul and threw it away, threw it into the 

muddy river, chucked it off the I-street bridge. I had to go get it 

from the banks of the sacramento. My heart is hanging out, bleeding 

sorry rivulets of blood, love trickling on the ground and he just  

walks by.

A hand on the shoulder. A nod of compassion. Either one could 

help me right now ’cause I am living in a land of sink or swim. I’ve been 

underwater so long, I’d just like to surface and tell someone what 

I’ve been doing. To rest my soul.

I can’t talk to my family even though a broken heart is a common 

denominator. Mom is all twisted in her little world, spinning out on 

convenience. Dad can’t understand how I happened, and if there is not 

a dollar sign with the word ‘yours’ attached, there’s no use talking 

to him. I do not understand why they continue to live their lie.

Bianca is dad in a dress. I think our genes got screwed up when we 

were conceived. Micky only understands to a limit. Being hetero, he 

gets mixed up with the sex / love thing when I start pouring out my 

heart. I guess for heteros it is so beyond them, the concept of same 

sex. They never see men kissing. Even the idea makes them nervous. 

It is no wonder that they never understand.

It might be blue sky, but there’s a big black cloud hanging over my 

head. Okay, sometimes I do carry it around with me by choice, but 

lately it’s been hanging there all on its own. Oh well.

That basically sums up my mood. Resigned. Oh well.

I am the worthless amoeba eking out a living on a discarded doormat 

at the bottom of a dumpster. Boy, that’s low.

When I greet people, and before they step on me, I ask them how 

they’re doing. When they say, ’good,’ I want to know why. I want to 

know how other people qualify a good life. Practically no one says, 

’sad’ or ‘depressed,’ and never do they say, ’lonely.’ When I say I’m 

lonely, most people give me the ’ah, poor Denver’ reply. What all I 

really need is compassion, a touch, an ’I understand,’ or an 

invitation to dinner. What I need least is to be left alone.

Nothing like feeling like living in a foreign place to make you feel 

alone. Let me try that sentence one more time. I feel like I’m living 

in a foreign country with no one to talk to because no one 

understands the language of sadness. People just love to talk about 

themselves and if I get a word in edgewise, it’s only to ask 

questions about their life before they lose interest in being with me.

Crying on the steps of my dilapidated apartment building, I have 

discovered the blues, belting out line after line, and the funny 

thing is everything rhymes with blue. What am I going to do? How am I 

going to get through? Oh poodle chew, I still love you. I have ruled  

out suicide, my body has an amazing self-preservation system and,  

instead, I’d be stuck in a coma after a failed attempt. Suck is life.  

The stupid say that time has a way of healing old wounds. But why do  

I have to wait? And who ’has’ time anyway?

I don’t want to hear people’s solutions for a broken heart. I hate it  

when people tell me I’m lucky because I have a big apartment, I’m  

still young, I supervise two adorable cats, I have a cool armchair.  

Is this how people cheer each other up nowadays? They look for  

material love supplements? Amore Shoppin’. (great name for a band.)

Just like every relationship is different, so is its break up – the  

glide, the tear or the pop-apart. I’ve had the glide and tear  

varieties. The pop-apart is a new experience. I didn’t expect it at  

all, and for it to be so final. It just shows the man is emotionally  

immature, excuse me, the boy. When people remain emotionally  

unattached, it’s easy to ’whatever’ everything into trifleness.


Denver lowered his pen and unconsciously stared out the window. He  

was at the start of his daily morning ritual, breakfasting in bed  

while writing in his diary. He dipped a mini–sugar–donut into his  

yellow coffee mug and placed the entire soaked food treat into his  

mouth. He took another sip of his coffee while tugging at the hair on  

the back of his neck. While masticating, he placed the coffee mug on  

the nightstand. Before returning to his diary, he caught sight of the  

T-shirt lying on the floor, inscribed by hand with the farewell  

letter he had received a few months ago.


Dear Denver,

Stop thinking about old times. What you are doing has nothing to do  

with love. It is aggressive and makes me aggressive. Open your eyes.  

We do not have a relationship anymore. It is over. I do not want to  

see you. I do not want to hear from you. I do not want to read about  

you. Leave me alone and take care of yourself and your own life. I do  

not belong to it anymore.

Peach


Denver had not seen Peach since the letter. He had tried, using the  

pretext of collecting his belongings, to find a word with his former  

lover, but Peach would share no pie. The items requested were simply  

left outside on the front porch for Denver to pick up at his  

convenience. Even the artwork that Denver had created for Peach was  

returned.

He flipped back through a few pages in his diary and touched the  

words he had written, feeling their strength, celebrating his  

sadness. He was a bit overcome and his eyes welled up with tears. He  

drew a sad face at the end of his last sentence with a teardrop  

falling over its cheek.

I am lucky, he thought. I have a roof over my head. My health is okay  

except for that little toothache that’s kind of bothering me. Hope it  

doesn’t get worse. Knock on wood. I got some food in the kitchen. I  

got a job. There’s just one thing missing in the equation, love.


We never even got to the third man. The concept was too much for  

Peach. When I started making signals about enhancing our  

relationship, he thought the opposite. And as fate would have it,  

Peach would leave me for someone at work. Someone I practically see  

on a daily basis. Was this form of abuse necessary? What did I do so  

wrong that elicited such a negative outcome?

I never really liked Dean, He is about as smart as a turnip. He’s  

just the happy sunny boy with lots of la-la on his mind. Now I hate  

him. Whenever I tried to mention the break–up to Dean, he puts me on  

hold, saying its between Peach and I. But Dean, YOU don’t get it. YOU  

are what’s between Peach and I. YOU are the reason why I can’t get to  

Peach.

Of course, Dean’s doing great and has no bones about loudly telling  

it to everyone I work with. I can hear his happy voice everywhere in  

the store, even when the music is booming. No tact whatsoever. His  

laid–back speak, going on about the cute little activities he shares  

with his new boyfriend. Oblivious to my feelings. I am not  

oversensitive! It is really going on.

I can’t stand seeing his happy face at work. I hate seeing him wear  

Peach’s clothing. It just adds insult to injury. Peach has even given  

him that gray backpack that I gave him when I started wearing yellow.  

And why, of all people, Dean? Even the name sounds suspicious.

I want to experiment. Explore the boundaries of relationships. I do  

not want to assimilate into a straight mold. But because I suggested  

too strongly, I have been sucked into some strange three-way psycho  

drama of proximity. Penton Place with a smack of California blasé  

thrown in. We’re all playing musical beds, sneaking around like cats  

with our asses in the air on a hot summer night. We sure get bored  

easily. This town has got all the stuff TV soaps are made of. It is  

sick and it is the truth.


He put down his pen and sat in silence. By the time he put pen to  

paper again, Denver thoughts had taken him to the moon and back. When  

he returned, he took stock of the room around him. Although his heart  

might be in the gutter, everything else looked pretty much the same,  

although a bit more disheveled.


I guess I am lucky. Still trying to convince myself. I get to go  

places. Fresno, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe. I live in paradise, albeit  

boring. My career is moving on. I had a great show at End Art. I got  

another show coming up at the Notodo Gallery. But none of these  

things really interests me. I still get no money from art. I know  

great friends who’ll take care of me. I must have some good karma.  

Why then this abrupt crash into loneliness? Is this necessary?

Somehow, I can only think of my misery, even though I’m busy doing  

art things. I don’t feel that the success has much to do with me.  

After so many years of service to the community, I’m just finally  

getting some pay-off. Okay, I did have to complain a little to get  

the attention. How un-californian of me!

Born. Born. Born to be nice. Maybe I should see a psychiatrist or  

find a guru. I need salvation. The fatalist in me has passed the  

test. I am strong. I do not have to get stronger. Where does my ego  

fit into it all?

I hope this is not going to be another bad year. Poop Donut. (better  

name for a band) A never-ending cycle. We repeat the same mistakes  

over and over again. Oh! I am such a fool. I suppose if I’m on the  

bottom, then someone’s got to be on the top. What’s the difference  

between walking on by when someone’s guts are spilled out on the  

floor, or when it’s just someone’s heart broken and bleeding? “Same  

difference!” as mom used to say. Can’t we just love one another  

instead of looking for the differences?

And there is no such thing as a difficult problem.

When love goes wrong, nothing goes right. When I get that feelin’ of  

Indigo, I just want to lie down and die.

My favorite drink is whine and I have laid it all down on paper.

Girl, I sure do love to go on.





No comments:

Post a Comment