Monday, March 15, 2021

Chapter 07. delta smelts or pud - Sick Sacraments

 07. delta smelts or pud


After recovering from her sudden victory, Dee decided to skip the  

Valium and go directly online. She imported the heavy crystal ashtray  

to the livingroom and standing at the keyboard attached to the arm of  

her sofa, she activated the icon of her special email account. She  

followed the progression of commands and code words and connected  

herself to the world at her fingertips via satellite micro- 

frequencies and wide band cables. As her computer collected her mail,  

she went into the kitchen and made herself a rootbeer and vanilla  

icecream float.

Returning, she placed her mug, embossed with the logo of her favorite  

baseball team, on the coffee table and parked herself on the sofa in  

front of the monitor which was waiting patiently for the next  

command. Dee started her daily surf at Mother Steward’s website for  

home improvements, dropped by the Home Shoppers’ site, and was  

furious that they were offering the same bowling-pin-shaped insect  

brooch for half the price she had paid.

Originally conceived to keep children in contact with their parents,  

Dee thought it would be fun to collect aural reports of her family  

and purchased three. Martin, Bianca and Denver had quickly rid  

themselves of the ugly device, unloading them on friends or  

acquaintances. Dee’s three bowling bugs were now out there somewhere  

and could listen in at random as long as the solar-powered wing- 

shaped receptors were charged and able to send.

She clicked the bugware icon and switched to decoder to eavesdrop.  

For the past weeks, Martin’s former gift had been picking up  

conversations that centered around the weather, the curiosity of the  

bowling brooch, and the strength of a certain coffee brew.

She lit a cigarette.

“Let me see, you drink it with cream and sugar, don’t you?” a man’s  

voice said. “What’s this metal bug doing on the coffee machine?”

She could make out the sound of coffee being poured into a mug.

“Hey, this thing is cute. Why are its eye’s blinking? Is it on?”

She heard the rustle of the bug being transported and the thump of  

its landing on a hard surface.

“I don’t know. It’s got some sort of battery.” A woman’s voice answered.

“My little girl would like it.”

“Then take it.”

“Who did you say it was from?”

Suddenly the tone was muffled. She heard scratching sounds and the  

faint murmurings of a conversation but could not make out the  

details. Her interest was mildly perked. She waited for a until the  

signal went dead, took a sip of her rootbeer float, and clicked over  

to Preacher Dan just in time to see a man descend the aisle, throw  

himself before the altar and disrobe. She watched for a few minutes  

but lost interest when the gist of his rapture was not made public  

and the service was interrupted for commercials. She clicked an icon  

and faith-hopped to read her daily horoscope.

She was happy to have her suspicion confirmed. Today was a good day.  

The planets were properly aligned and according to numerology, her  

numbers added up positively. After consulting the phrases-of-the-day  

at the sites of the other healers, guidance counselors and religious  

leaders she followed, she felt ready to go surfing for love.


Some Heifer

looking for new pastures

and a strong farm hand

Fraulein Debby


She was at her favorite dating site. Pleased that she had learned to  

spell her name correctly, but still confused at how to pronounce it,  

she continued with the same kooky photo motif she had used in her  

previous queries. This time it was a photo of her sitting alone in  

the passenger seat of Martin’s BMW, as a cow, blowing up a sausage  

balloon.

She flipped to the ‘Stud seeking Fish’ section and began her manhunt.  

One photo entitled Cal TEX caught her eye immediately. It showed a  

robust, half-naked man standing in a field holding a pitchfork with a  

cabbage leaf over his head. He had spiced his ad with two bit slogans  

and the offer of a photo of his pud to all who wrote. It stayed in  

her thoughts while she searched further hoping for other options. She  

returned and stared at the photo, and her expectations began to swell  

in timeless bounds. She dreamed of her boring existence evaporating  

into oblivion and she envisioned herself wandering the fields with  

Cal Tex in tow. The opening tunes of a daytime television talk show  

provided the music score.

A TV pop-up had appeared on her television monitor. She ground out  

the butt of her Virginia Svelte, belched some icecream float, and  

split her monitor in order to catch her talk show while debating on  

whether to answer the mating call. The photo of the his pud was a  

sticking point. She had her ideas what it could be. She decided to  

make the effort. She would take the initiative and compose a decent  

letter to send to Cal Tex. It would be a meaningful way to get  

through the afternoon. She was trying to care.


My Favorite Texan,

Bad start. She thought of other pet names like Chile Bean, Oilwell or  

Bovine, but nothing satisfied her. For some reason, she did not feel  

like firing off a smart-ass reply. There was something about the  

photo of him standing all alone that stirred feelings of a simpler  

life. She deleted the first attempt and started again:


Dear Tex,

Dee was stumped. What could she say about herself that would matter?  

It was only after a few trips to the refrigerator to peer inside, an  

occasional circle around the house to check if anything had gotten  

dirty, and some soul searching, that she decided it would be better  

not to embellish. The truth was too mind-boggling to corrupt.

Dee sat probing the atmosphere for inspiration. Suddenly Jerry said,  

“lover’s shake.” She got off the sofa, rinsed out her Delta Smelts  

mug, filled it with fresh ice and Tap without realizing, returned to  

the sofa and started typing.


Dear Tex;

It looks as if we’re into a real lover’s shake. I am a woman and I  

have never been to Chico but I have visited Viva Las Vegas many times.


She put down the pencil, so to speak. Writer’s block. She could go no  

further. She had angst and suddenly did not want to go anywhere.

Reclining, she looked across the room and stared at the framed travel  

posters hanging on the walls. The prospect of living through another  

summer doing much the same was overwhelming.

Her life, already moving along painfully slowly, would pretty much  

come to a standstill. Summer would consist of reruns. There would be  

an occasional picnic, a birthday or a death somewhere in between, the  

annual church olive festival, the annual Adfair convention in Viva  

Las Vegas, and the ever-present heat, which drove even the sane to  

commit the most horrendous of crimes.

Nothing to do. I need to be set on fire, she thought, coming out of  

her trance and lighting her seventh Svelte. Stonewalled in her  

stagnation, she raised the volume and scuffled off to the bathroom to  

take half a Valium.

“Same difference,” a guest commented.

Dee was again on the sofa, trying to hammer out a rhyme but it wound  

up making no sense at all. The Valium slowed down her creative  

spirit. She spent the next few hours on the sofa working on the  

email, going through hundreds of text variations, occasionally  

spinning out of control on some of her creations.


Dear Tex:

It looks if we’re into a real lover’s shake. I am a woman and I have  

never been to Chico but I have visited Viva Las Vegas. My favorite  

musician is Serena Lyon. My hands are soft and my feet are, too. My  

eyes are brown and I wear a size 7 shoe.


She took a break from the mental anguish, but knew a photo would be  

needed and regretted having to go down memory lane to find it. It  

took a while to remember where the stacks of shoeboxes filled with  

family photos were. She retrieved them from a seldom-frequented  

closet in the spare bedroom, tucked away high on a shelf behind the  

boxes of holiday ornaments, and went into the living room.

Sitting on the area rug, she sorted out those photos to be  

immediately burned, ones where she looked really bad, and ones  

depicting events she regretted having lived, thus requiring no  

documentation. She did not give a thought to others in her family,  

immediate or distant who might be interested in the memorabilia.  

Within minutes, Dee had eliminated almost twenty years of her life in  

the fireplace, and the ensuing heat caused her to switch the air- 

conditioner manually to cool down the house. The stack of photos  

chosen for eventual solicitation purposes was meager. Only a handful  

made it through the final selection and were scanned.

“Sloppy,” came a voice from a talking head.

She finally settled on a photo in Viva Las Vegas. It was a bit dated  

but it was the only picture she could find of herself that showed  

some spunk and a woman ten pounds lighter. Martin had caught her in a  

candid pose at the hotel swimming pool. She looked good in the then  

new orange-striped culottes from Godschalks. The yellow blouse was  

tight enough to show off some of her womanly features. Her skin was  

tanned, her sunglasses round, her sandals white, and her hat straw.


Finally Dee was finished. She had written what she considered to be  

an almost perfect letter. She had borrowed helpful grammatical tips  

>from Steward’s Digest. She checked for spelling errors and made a  

search on the net to bone up on bodily functions. No man could help 

fall in love with such a beautifully composed letter she supposed. As  

she reread the final draft, the sound of canned applause filtered  

through her suburban home.


Dear Tex,

It look as if we’re into a real lover’s shake. I am a woman and I have  

never been to Chico but I have visited Viva Las Vegas many times. My  

favorite musician is Serena Lyon. My hands are soft and my feet are,  

too. My eyes are brown and I wear a size 7 shoe. The hair is dyed and  

the hips are wide. The breasts are full and the lips are jewels.

This photo is ten years old and I am ten pounds heavier. I am sorry.  

I don’t think I’ve had a picture taken of myself since. I like  

baseball and the color orange. I am a Libra and I yen for chow mein  

occasionally. My favorite number is nine. I smoke Virginia Svelte.

You look tall. Are you? I like your mustache. Do you smoke?

I live in Fresno but I was born on a farm in the Sacramento delta. I  

was tired of the dirt so I married young to escape. How I regret it now.

Suburban life is not for me. They say this is paradise. I call it  

hell. It is bad and it is high time for me to return to the farm.

I have two children, both grown and on their own. I am alone. My  

husband is an adman. Always on the road. Home is like a motel for  

him. He just comes here and sleeps. There is no love in our  

relationship anymore, just convenience. I know this sounds stupid but  

I don’t think my husband would even notice if I was gone.

My fenced in life is too boring to recount. I am tired of playing  

solitaire. The easy life is getting me down. Same difference. I am  

neither here nor there.

It has finally dawned on me that it is my life and I can do whatever  

I damn well please. I must be crazy to continue living this way. I am  

ready to start new. Are you ready too?


Waiting for a quick response.

Fascinatedly Yours,

Fraulein Debby


p.s.

My favorite drink is peach daiquiri. I have card reading talents.

I am a bit anxious about your pud offer.





No comments:

Post a Comment