Saturday, March 13, 2021

Chapter 14. art-n-sacto nr. 1 - Sick Sacraments

 14. art-n-sacto nr. 1


A firecracker exploded on his front porch. His two cats darted under  

the bed for cover and Denver took a quantum leap back to reality. It  

was Micky Hill, his best friend. Permanent student, local bon vivant,  

freelance journalist, fellow artist, he had recently decided to live  

in his Ford Galaxy as a performance art action for a year.

Micky was a rogue who had left behind a string of broken hearts on  

his travels through the bedrooms of female sacramentians.. They did  

not understand his unwavering devotion to his anti-constructivist neo- 

erroristic performance lifestyle. Unfortunately his wanton behavior  

often led to their eternal scorn and treatment for various sexually  

transmitted diseases.

Still naked, Denver closed his diary and got up from bed to open the  

door for Micky, who was eating his staple breakfast of stickybuns and  

swigging down a cup of java.

“Hey Micky. The cats and I will never get used to your calling card.  

Where’ve you been?”

“I’ve been hangin’ out with this freaky woman.”

“Wo! Micky! You shaved your head!”

“Yup. I did it with miss freaky at the Little Cheaper.”

“I was thinking about doing the same thing myself.” He rubbed his  

freshly washed hair. “… to purge myself.” He disappeared into the  

bedroom.

“Hey. You got a cigarette?” Micky asked, unknowingly spitting out  

little bits of stickybun.

“We’ll have to go down to June’s and get some more. I smoked the last  

one last night.”

“You know who I just saw on the street just now?”

Denver waited.

“Natty.”

“That’s good to know. Did you talk to him?” he shouted from the bedroom.

“Yeah. We talked a little. You know how it is with him, always  

shouting obscenities at you.”

“I wonder how fame’s affectin’ him?”

“He seems to be handlin’ it okay. Seems normal to me.”

“I like Natty. It’s the others I have a problem with. Especially,” he  

paused, “… you know, the good lookin’ lead, the one who thinks he’s  

the biggest turd of them all.”

“Say it again. I didn’t understand.” He placed his coffee cup and  

bakery bag on Denver’ desk and picked up the remote to zap the radio  

off.

“The Art Stud, you know.”

“Oh you mean, Joe Ramsey, the one the chicklets go all nuts about,  

the one who’s got permanent bad breath.”

“Yeah. That’s the one.”

“Like I said …” He wandered around the apartment, waiting for Denver  

to dress. “I got lucky with a babe with car trouble last night. She  

was on her way to Fresno. You should of seen these weird scars on her  

body. Worse than mine.” He rubbed the scars on his head. “She said  

she was a victim of a violent crime when she was a kid. I think she  

had one eye but I’m not sure. I forgot if she told me she had a glass  

eye.”

Denver returned dressed in yellow cut-offs and t-shirt and handed  

Micky a cigarette. “I found two on the floor. Life’s simple  

pleasures. You can smoke one when you’re finished inhaling the  

stickybuns.”

“Thanks.” He took the cigarette. “Geez man! Are you going to wear  

that t-shirt until it drops off your body? Everyone in town knows  

that Peach dumped you. I know it by heart. Stop thinking about old  

times, blah, blah, blah … When are you ever going to get over it?”

“Listen to you talk, Mr. Pyro-man. Goin’ on with your fireworks,  

living in the Galaxy and pickin’ up freaky babes at the gas station.  

I can ask you the same thing.”

“I’m doing it for art.”

“That’s what they all say. Well, so am I. I am celebrating my  

sadness. I can’t force anything. You are your own circumstances.  

Besides, where in this town am I goin’ to meet a man who is strong  

enough for me?” He paused not expecting a reply. “Peach was a good  

fuck. Great sex, sex that bonds, but he’s anal. I mean retentive. I  

mean he hoards things.” As he was speaking, Denver moved around the  

apartment, straightening random objects in the chaos. “I know  

everyone knows. I am confronting the unspoken. I want them to talk  

about what they did when they were dumped.”

“You’re not the only one suffering on this planet.” Micky licked his  

lips free of sticky residue and rubbed them back and forth with the  

back of his hand. “Poor Denver. Boo-hoo. How long will this song go on?”

“Okay then. If everyone has been through it and everyone knows about  

it. I mean songs, poems, ballads, operas, soaps and sonnets have been  

written about it. I mean c’mon!” He extended both arms outward, palms  

raised. “So why do we still break up? Love is supposed to be  

boundless. It’s only us stupid humans who give love borders. And that  

basically sums up the world’s problems. Why do we keep splitting up and  

making the same mistakes?”

“Dilute man. I don’t want to go there with you lesbian. Or whatever  

you’re calling yourself nowadays. But Denver, you got to move on. You  

can only celebrate so much. You’re the one who’s always sayin’ to  

leave the party before you vomit on the hostess’ legs. And lesbian,  

that shirt is retching.”

“Okay. Okay already.” He took off the shirt and threw it at Micky.

Micky caught it, and while Denver was in the bedroom, stuffed it into  

the bakery bag.

“So tell me why the babe was so freaky.” Denver asked as he came 

back wearing another t-shirt.

“First of all, she had these breasts you wouldn’t believe.” He cupped  

his hands in front of him to demonstrate their weight and size. “And  

this weird smell about her.”

“So that’s what I’ve been smellin’.”

“Yeah. She put some on me. It was like a mixture of that patuli oil  

and the funk of a bitch in heat.” He raised his chin to imitate a  

howling dog, and stuck the cigarette behind his ear.

“What’s it called? I Repel by Seymour Butts?”

“No. Luv-to-Suc by I. P. Freely,” he retorted. “She was ready to  

boogie and so was I. It must’ve been the waxing moon.”

“Damn Micky. It’s no wonder you don’t have a lot of friends and get  

freaky chicks that smell like bitches in heat. You have a marked  

propensity for foul living that only an ACNE artist like myself can  

fully appreciate.”

“Yeah. Like I was saying …” Micky sat down on a dilapidated wooden  

office chair. “This chicklet got kind of mystical on me there for  

awhile. It went beyond new age and all that esoteric bullshit. She  

said that she was living out in the ’burbs somewhere with a cousin,  

but I told her she could stay at your house when she’s downtown, if  

that’s okay with you.”

“Pick ’em off the streets and bring ’em here. Micky, why don’t you!”  

Denver reverted to his delta dialect. “Let’s go out and find others  

with car problems. Let’s cruise the freeways for unsuspecting  

motorists and lure ‘em into the Grid.” Denver was referring to  

downtown, a thirty square block area boxed in by four rivers, two  

natural and two man made: the sacramento and the american, I-5 

and  Interstate 80.

“Then, let’s be nice to ‘em so they’ll never leave. And we can add  

one more to the bored lot that’s already here just hangin’ around  

waitin’ for something to happen in ‘Almost Town’. The trouble is,  

Micky-poo, and you know as well as I do …” He shook his right index  

finger at him. “… nothing ever does happen around here. I mean  

everything does almost happen …” he paused, “but only almost.”

“Yeah, almost,” Micky repeated.

“Why don’t you take me to almost town? Why don’t you take me to  

almost town?” Denver sang, moving to an inner disco beat.

“Yeah. Serious pretty much the same. Day in and day out. I’m tired of  

livin’ in nirvana. “So …” he changed the subject, “… whacha almost  

feelin’ like doin’ today?”

“I got no real plans,” Denver said and changed melodies. “I’m blue. I  

do not know what to do. I feel so lonely without …” and he slumped  

down into his recently-acquired couch, upholstered in tweed plaid.  

“It’s goin’ to he hotter than a whore’s pussy in hell and we’d better  

think of somethin’ cool to do.”

“You feelin’ like a shoeshine?” Micky asked. “How about a movie?”

“No. You know my feelings about supportin’ the Hollywood hype. 

And anyway, I got no coins.”

“I dunno. I thought we could get in for free. I mean, who’s workin’  

at the Tower? Is anybody workin’ there today that we know, so that 

we can get in for free?”

“Probably René and in that case we won’t get in.”

“Why? What’d you do? I thought she’s a lesbian like you.”

“Oh …” Denver waved his arm in front of him. “I went where she did  

not want to go. I was up in her face the other night at the Murder  

Bar and called her on her ethnic lesbian thang and as usual, she  

couldn’t take a joke. I even told her that I thought that in my past  

life I was a poor slave child. Reincarnation or not, I’m not allowed  

to call her girlfriend or for that matter, fellow lesbian. Fuck that.  

Call it subjective discrimination but I’m trying to communicate.  

People call me all sorts of things. Fag. Asshole. Cocksucker. But I  

don’t get all upset about it. And besides, lesbian is not a dirty  

word and I have a right to use it and call myself one if I so choose.  

I’d rather be called a lesbian than gay any day. I’ve never been  

impressed …” He clipped quotation marks with his fingers. “… by my  

gay sisters. They’re about as socially conscious as a piece of smoked  

ham.”

“Denver, have you had your coffee yet? It sounds like you’re all  

wound-up already.”

Denver shook his head.

“Then let’s go to the Bum ’n Burn and check out the papers.” He was  

referring to a coffee house whose initials they had expropriated to  

describe their café culture.

“Why don’t you just go get some coffee at Sunbread’s and come back  

here? In the meantime, I’ll roll a joint.”

Micky remembered the cigarette behind his ear, pulled it out and  

motioned for a light.

“There’s some matches on the table somewhere. Hey, did I tell you 

who called me the other day?”

Micky shook his head before lighting his cigarette then casually  

tossed the matches back onto Denver’s cluttered workspace. Denver  

leaned over the sofa and hit the message button on the answering  

machine.

“I didn’t know your mother was such a bitch. I’d like to meet her.”  

Micky said after listening to the first message.

“Hello. It’s me Vella, calling you from out of the abyss …”

Micky blew out a puff of smoke and shook his head. As he listened to  

the desperation in her voice, it brought back feelings of frustration  

and memories of absurd moments. He covered his ears with his hands,  

shook his head, and started laughing to himself as her desperation  

became exaggerated. The machine clicked off with three beeps.

After a pause Micky said: “So Vella wants you to tell me that she  

appreciates my postcards. I can’t believe it.” He took a puff. “After  

all that I went through with her. She is one crazy home girl.”

Denver remained silent.

“Sure, okay. We can see her if that’s what you are getting at. She  

has a cool apartment. Yeah, okay. We can take a ride down to Stockton.”

“We can take the Galaxy?”

“I don’t think we have much choice. It would take us twice as long if  

we took the bus and Bart.”

“Well then, I’m ready when you are,” Denver said, rising and  

snatching a crumpled Slaveway grocery bag from the coffee table.

“I thought we were goin’ to smoke a joint first.”

“Naw. I’ll roll it in the car, instead.”

“Look,” Micky said, “I’ll meet you at the Galaxy. I think maybe I can  

find another cigarette in there somewhere and rejoice again in one of  

life’s little pleasures.” Micky walked out holding his bakery bag out  

of Denver’s line of sight.

Without much thought, Denver searched the apartment for the supplies  

necessary for an overnight trip to Stockton and stuffed them into the  

bag, and then dumped a handful of Kitty Bits into a plastic food bowl  

and instructed the cats to look after themselves until he returned.

He grabbed his sunglasses, keys and the envelope with his check for  

the telephone company, and walked out of his dilapidated Victorian  

slamming the front door and shaking the entire building. As he locked  

the door of the building that he had managed to preserve from  

demolition by remaining an occupant and overseeing minor maintenance,  

he wondered whether his abode was really worth securing.

“Hi Janet,” said Denver, stopped his descent and greeted his next-door  

neighbor. “Oh Honey, your garden looks wonderful from up here.”

“Oh hi, Denver.” Janet scratched her face. “Thanks. I’ve been working  

on it a lot. I’m planting my Rainbow Patch. I got these seeds at the  

nursery. Some genetic variety of flowers that grows like a rainbow.”

“Really?” Denver wondered if that was actually possible to achieve in  

the plant world.

“That’s what I said. Yeah.” She rubbed her cheek with her shoulder.  

“So I thought I’d give it a try, Should be pretty interesting.”

“Are they annuals, perennials, or a menace?”

“Gawd, I hope not.” She rubbed her chin with the back of her hand.  

“It took me forever to get rid of that raspberry vine that I thought  

would look so nice growing on the house. But it was like a weed,  

coming up everywhere, even into the house. I even pulled a little  

clump of it up the other day, in fact.”

“You’re garden looks great, like every year. And your gardenias,  

their aroma just permeates my house,” he said, applying light  

cynicism on the last sentence.

“Boy, aren’t they great this year? They keep on blooming for months.  

Must be because of all the rain this winter. But sometimes their  

scent does overpower me. Must be good for something, though. Could  

keep away the nightcrawlers, I guess. At least everything’s growing  

like mad. Got to be thankful for that.”

“Thank you global warmin’. Well, we’re going to Stockton to see that  

Vella chic. Do you know her?”

“Yeah, vaguely. I think my husband knows her. He used to visit her  

once in a while.”

“I’ll tell her that I ran into ya’. And say hello to your husband for  

me.” Denver turned and checked both ways before crossing the street  

to where Micky’s car was parked.

“Okay. Ciao. Have a nice day.” Janet yelled back, and returned to  

hacking away at the weeds.

“That’s what they all say,” Denver retorted under his breath.

Micky, who had picked up a bottle of Night Train left at the bottom  

of Denver’s steps by a bum, was standing next to the Galaxy pouring  

the remaining drops into his mouth. When Denver approached, he  

chucked it into the alley where it shattered on the asphalt radiating  

in the summer heat, and scared away the few emaciated pigeons that  

were plucking around a lopsided dumpster overfilled with kitchen waste.

Smiling, Micky proclaimed, “Hangin’ low in the big tomato.”





No comments:

Post a Comment