Friday, March 12, 2021

Chapter 21. equal under law - Sick Sacraments

 21. equal under law


Miss California picked up her GAP pool towel and patted herself dry.  

She sat down and pulled out a granny smith apple from her united  

white and green Wellington knapsack.

Thinking fast, Micky seized the opportunity to make verbal contact.  

“You know, you can make a bong out of an apple. It‘s something I  

learned in prison.”

Startled, she looked around and finally realized that the voice was  

coming from the obscure individual next to her, also known as Micky.  

“Excuse me?”

Squeeze me, he thought and chuckled to himself. “I said, you can make  

a bong out of an apple.” He took a sip of beer and watched as she  

comfortably positioned herself to exchange in verbal intercourse.

“You can make a bong? Why did you learn that?” she sarcastically  

asked and pouted out her lower lip. “And why were you in prison?”

“I turned myself in.”

“What? You turned yourself in? What did you do that for?” she asked  

and took a bite of the apple.

“Yeah. And it wasn’t easy, either. It took a while before I was  

behind bars.”

“What prison were you in?”

“The new one, downtown.”

“What’s that like?” She licked her lips. “It certainly is one of the  

prettiest buildings downtown.”

“Inside it’s clean and well lit. It smells very sterile.” He wiped  

the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. “They use some  

sort of high-powered chemical cleaner and the cells reek of it. But  

you know what’s funny? There’s still those fruit flies that some how  

manage to get in. You know the ones that buzz around ceiling lamps  

even when the light’s not on.”

“What?” She was a bit taken aback by this observation.

“But the flies weren’t my only company.” He sat up and crossed his  

legs in front of him. “I was put into a holding cell with the cream  

of Sacramento’s underground. There was this lovesick drunken youth  

with a virgin mary tattoo and a bandanna who kept yellin’, ’Yo vero  

lumiere, y esta muy bueno.’ Now, he smelled really bad. I guess he’d  

pissed on himself before he came in and he was beginning to ferment.”

“That’s disgusting. Yuk!” she valleyed.

“Yeah. I know, and there was this asian guy who didn’t say anything  

and kept staring at us. They picked him up for trespassing. Later, we  

figured out that he was illegal and he was mighty worried about bein’  

deported.”

“Did you do that?” She pointed to the Sutters Weekly that Micky had  

laid out for all to read. “ALIEN SPACE SHI’T’. That’s pretty funny.”

“Thanks. Would you like a cigarette?” He reached for the paper bag  

and removed a pack of generic menthol cigarettes.

“No thanks, I don’t smoke,” she said politely and popped open a  

Redbull instead. “You know, I don’t think you’re allowed to smoke  

here, or drink beer.”

“What d’ya mean? It’s outside isn’t it?”

“Yeah, but, I don’t know. You’re like on uh, on private property. I  

think it is against the law.”

“So what. I break the law every day, somehow. Most of the time, I  

don’t even know that I am doing something wrong. I’m just one big  

mistake anyway. So don’t worry. Besides, I’ve been to prison and it  

don’t matter.” He paused and lit his cigarette before continuing.  

“Now, there was this one guy who I kinda recognized, he must’ve been  

about fifteen, a kid really. J.J. You know. Jumpin’ Jamal’s Used Car  

Lot. Those stupid ads on late night TV, where the two of them bounced  

on trampolines quoting car prices.

She nodded exaggeratedly and took another bite of her apple.

“He was fuming about his father and told me that he was in jail for  

shootin’ up his father’s house. I quess white rage even happens to  

minorites. Later he told me that he told a different story to the  

police. That he was defendin’ himself against a black intruder. It  

was pretty lame ass of him but I guess they believed him because they  

let him out shortly after.”

“Yeah. I remember seeing something on the news.”

“Me too. The house was a battlefield.”

“Come to think of it, I haven’t seen J. J. on TV for awhile.”

“The scariest bit though was a real big black guy who was lookin’ at  

me mighty fine. This guy, he must’ve been ’bout a meter ninety and  

100 kilos of bubbly fat.”

“Uh. You sound like an alien. It pounds and inches here.”

“Yeah I know. But don’t you find it strange that the US is the only  

country that uses king george’s body measurements.”

“I didn’t know they were from a king.”

“Yeah. And an english one at that which makes it all the more stupid.  

Anyway. Let’s just say the guy was really big. So he asks me about my  

jacket, and comes over and starts petting me. Then he asks where I  

bought it? If someone gave it to me? If I was seein’ somebody? 

Freaky questions, if you know what I mean?”

She gave him a nod of confirmation.

“I hadn’t a clue what that was all about. I’m beginning to think that  

he wants my ass. And the worse scenarios come to mind. But luckily,  

he only wants to try at my jacket. So what could I say?”

She shrugged her shoulders and bit into her apple.

“I couldn’t say no. This guy might of been fat but he probably could  

of ripped the jacket off me with his little finger. So I give it to  

him, and you know what he does?”

She shook her head and finally offered Micky a bite of her apple.

“He like, takes to nosin’ my jacket, and I’m thinkin’, this guy is  

out of his mind. Thanks.” He took a bite and handed it back.

“Oooh. Wabega!” he said chewing. “That jacket must’ve smelled really  

funky. It was like, hundred degree weather outside and, at the time,  

I was doin’ prep work cuttin’ onions.” He swallowed. “But this didn’t  

stop him from rubbin’ his face to it and takin’ a good strong whiff.”

“Oh my god! That’s so disgusting,” she squealed and tapped her feet  

on the pavement..

“Do you want to hear more?” Micky asked. “It’s like, the truth. I  

know it sounds weird.”

“Yeah,” she quickly answered. “God. I never imagined. Like, does it  

get worse?”

“Well kind of. Depending how you see it. Don’t worry. It turns out  

he’s a pussycat and was just getting into the texture of the jacket.  

Said he loved the feel of silk on his skin. So, we got to talkin’ and  

I tell him why I’m in jail, and he tells me that he got arrested, get  

this, for feeding the homeless!”

“No. Not true.” She shook her head and offered him the rest of the  

apple. “No one gets arrested for feeding the homeless. You’re lying.”

“Thanks.” He took small bites eating down to the stem. “It’s true,  

though.” He spat out the seeds. “I said the same thing. I couldn’t  

believe it myself. Yeah man, there’s a law that you can’t feed the  

homeless because it’s against hygiene regulations. I mean, the law is  

out there to protect us from eatin’ unsolicited food that could  

poison us.” He coughed. “But the people who would die if they didn’t  

get their next peanut butter and jelly sandwich are up shit creek.  

Plus it’s so political, you know. The city doesn’t want people livin’  

on the streets. Idleness is a sickness in their eyes. It makes their  

city look real and that’s bad for the tourist dollar. My question is.  

What tourist is ever goin’ to come to Sacto. I can think of a zillion  

other places to be a tourist.”

“Whatever.” She took a sip from her Redbull. “So how did you get into  

prison? What horrendous crime did you commit? Did you beat someone

up or rob a bank or did you just do something stupid and get yourself  

arrested?” She gave him a quizzical look.

“Oh yeah. Well, as I said before, I turned myself in. It wasn’t easy  

either. I mean it was hard.” He put out his cigarette on the poolside  

pavement. “See it all started when I got this phone call. I’ve always  

been payin’ the man. I think, ever since I was born, I’ve been  

payin’. So when the debt agency called and told me that I had to go  

to the police or they would come and arrest me and make me pay for  

that too, I decided to turn myself in.” He drained the last drops  

from his can and reached over for the paper bag. “Would you like a  

beer?”

She thought for moment and refused. “No. I better not.” She shook her  

hand in front of her. “I’m drinking a Redbull. Maybe later. Thanks  

anyway. You said you turned yourself in because someone called you?”

“Yeah. I was gullible in those days.” He lit another cigarette “I  

didn’t turn myself in right away, that’s how stupid I was. No. The  

next day when I was workin’ at a restaurant after cuttin’ up a heap  

load on onions.” He blew smoke through his sentence. “I started  

gratin’ the tons of cheese that were needed each day for pizzas, and  

was thinkin’ what was better, cuttin’ cheese or prison life? Then I  

started thinkin’ that I’m goin’ to have this monkey on my back for  

years to come. I could never study again unless I paid it back and I  

might as well get it over with.” He belched.

She continued to listen attentively.

“So, I just stopped gratin’ and walked out, for good. Walked right  

down to the jail on 9th and J and pushed the doorbell. I pushed it  

four times, standin’ out there like a fuckin’ idiot, smellin’ like a  

peeled onion, askin’ myself if I really wanted to go this far. Too late. 

Finally this cop comes to the door and asks me what I want  

and I tell him how I got a phone call the other day from a debt  

collection agency about my outstandin’ student loan and I am here to  

turn myself in. Well if that didn’t throw him for a loop. He said for  

me to wait and he would get back to me.”

“So here I was standin’ outside the jail, thinkin’ how unjust the  

world is because I haven’t paid back my student loan. Education  

should be free, I’ve always said. The reason why we have so many  

morons runnin’ around is because it costs too much to go to school.  

Just for breathin’ nowadays, you got to pay the man.

“So here I am, standin’ outside the jail. I’m not lookin’ my best but  

I do have on this yellow silk coat that I got from my friend over  

there.” He pointed first to Denver and then to the very same jacket.  

“I smelled and probably looked like a goddamn taco. And you know 

what  I did?”

Completely enthralled, she took a quick glance at the article of  

clothing and returned to staring at Micky as he continued his story.

“I rang the bell again.”

“Not.”

“Shit yeah. I’m the confessed criminal. I shouldn’t have to wait.  

Finally though the same cop comes back, apologizes for leavin’ me 

out there so long and says that this is not normal procedure.”

“I still can’t believe that you turned yourself in because someone  

called you.” She smiled and asked, “Could you do me a favor? Could  

you put some lotion on my back?” and reached a tube of Brand de  

Soleil over to Micky.

“Yeah sure.” Micky tried to remain as nonchalant as possible, knowing  

already that his plan had succeeded far beyond all expectations.  

“It’d be my pleasure.” He quickly rose from his sitting position and  

took the tube.

She turned her shoulders in his direction as he squirted a generous  

amount of the powerful designer suntan product into his right palm.

“Do you need this stuff?” He took a whiff before rubbing it onto his  

hands.

“Yeah. It’s good for the skin. Go on. Tell me what happened next!”

“Wow. This stuff burns.” He waved his hands in the air. “What’s in  

this stuff?”

“What? I dunno. Just rub it in.” She wiggled her shoulder in  

anticipation.

He knelt down behind her, began to massage the Brand de Soleil  

tanning mixture into her pores, and continued recounting his story of  

petty crime, all the while rubbing in a circular motion. “So where  

was I?”

“Talking through an intercom.”

“Oh yeah. So finally, this other cop comes down. I tell him that I  

received a phone call about my debts and that I was to report to the  

nearest police station immediately. He also tells me that this is not  

normal procedure. But if I want to I could wait in the chapel while  

they check it out.”

“What?”

“Yeah. It’s actually a waitin’ room where every religion is  

represented. It’s probably a spy room where there’s hidden mikes and  

cameras to pick up you confessin’ to the lord. They got all the good  

books on the shelf and every religious pamphlet you can think of.  

They even had stuff from the Church of Opportunity, First Christian,  

somethin’ that I was into when I was married.” He took the tube and  

applied more lotion to his palms. “Funny, to read it now and to see  

through all the crap they dish out.”

“Wait!” she interrupted, “back up again to that First Opportunity  

part. What was that all about, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Shit, if you can believe it, I was a fuckin’ born again Opportunist.  

My wife at the time was really into it. Oh, she loved that Preacher  

Dan and all.”

In the course of his rant, Micky had absentmindedly squirted half the  

tube of Brand de Soleil onto himself and his conversation partner and  

was now finding it difficult to get rid of the excess.

“Preacher Dan! I know Preacher Dan!” She jerked suddenly, wondering  

if she should tell.

“Yeah. A lot of people do. I know him, too. My ex-wife, like I said,  

was really into Preacher Dan and we even had a velvet paintin’ of  

Preacher Dan over our bed.”

“Oooh. That’s scary.”

“Yeah. Ain’t it? A part of my life, I would like to forget. But you  

know, I was young, easily moldable. I mean, everyone believes in  

something or another, whether it be Preacher Dan or Moe Hamin, 

Moe Jesus, the Holy Spook or St. Elvis. It don’t matter. You get  

together, sing a few songs, take some kind of drug together like wine  

or poison fruit cocktail, you do the love dance and are united.  

United for what, I’d like to know. To go around and kill people who  

don’t believe like you do, believe in the almighty yahoo, in One God,  

the spiritual fucked-up male, all in the name of institutionalized  

religion. I mean shit, church is like a disco except you can’t fuck  

in the bathrooms.”

“What are you talking about? If you don’t mind, I think that’s enough  

lotion on my back. Would you like me to put some on you?”

“No man. I already got enough all over me. I think I’ll jump in the  

pool first.”

“So go ahead.” she snipped.

“Here. Let me put some on your legs,” he suggested and moved around  

in front of her. She rotated herself on the edge of the lounge,  

leaned back and stretched her legs out in front of her so Micky could  

better relieve himself of the excess tanning lotion.

“No please, don’t get me wrong,” he hurriedly added, knelt in front  

of her and took her right leg in his hands. “When you are that age,  

you are all pumped up with idealism and ready to take on the world.  

It’s not like I stopped wantin’ to change the world into a better  

place, but I don’t have that youthful dogmatism anymore. Now I’m just  

an A.C.N.E. artist. I don’t worry about convincin’ anybody anymore.”  

He smiled hoping to win back her undivided attention.

“So like, did they finally put you in jail?’’ she asked, stretching  

her leg out to help Micky apply the lotion more thoroughly.

“All lovin’, they certainly did! And you know, the fuckin’ jail is a  

fuckin’ nut house. How’s that for irony? Ha! I felt safer on the  

streets of sacramento than inside the goddamn jail.

“So I’m in this waitin’ room, and after many moments of silence, some  

broad built like a refrigerator with a mustache to boot, comes into  

the room, stands me up, whips some handcuffs on my wrists and takes  

me into another room. This time it’s a bare room, with only a table  

and some scruffy lookin’ chairs. It’s only neon lit and it’s bright.  

The room is painted in this ever so pale greenish-white color and  

it’s super clean. You know you could splatter your soul in a place  

like that. In fact, the room becomes your soul and there are no more  

secrets.

“The bitch in the blue polyester uniform pushes me to a chair and  

cuffs me into it. She comes back and throws down some forms for  

me to fill out. And there were a lot of forms. They wanted to know  

everything. Oh, and you know what?”

She shook her head.

“There was this one tiny little pencil on the other side of the table  

but she doesn’t give me the pencil, she just knew that there was one  

already there and I was supposed to figure it out. Then she leaves.

“I’m there for twenty, maybe a half an hour and I have some time to  

think.” He cupped and rotated his hands over her knee in time with  

the story. “All sorts of crazy things go on in your head. But there  

was one thing that set me off, that made me think how prison life was  

going to be. And that was that little yellow pencil. She knew it was  

there but she didn’t make any reference to it. So that meant that I  

was supposed to get up, get the pencil and somehow fill out these  

prison forms, handcuffed and all. My life as a worthless amoeba  

passed in front of my eyes and I imagined myself delighted, after  

spendin’ years in solitary confinement, to stumble across a gift of a  

little yellow pencil and to rediscover the essence of writin’ and  

communication.”

“Wow. That’s awesome,”she whispered while looking into his eyes and  

scooting closer to the edge of the lounge. She was as completely  

captivated by Micky’s tale of criminal adventure as he was captured  

in his art of telling her the story.

“Finally she comes back in and starts yellin’ at me, tellin’ me not  

to waste her time and to get fillin’ out the forms. By now though, I  

do have the yellow pencil clutched in my left hand like this was the  

most important thing in the world. I was overcome with emotion and a  

little regret for going this far.”

Micky’s hands were now resting on her upper thighs. He had an  

audience and the thrill of conquest churned his hormones to an  

intoxicating hight.

“I take a good look at the application to jail and think to myself.  

Hey, why do I have to do everything? It took me long enough to get  

this far, besides I’m the guilty one, not you. At least, I confessed  

to something. Who only knows what secrets lies in your meat compartment.

“Well, she must’ve read my mind because things started to move real  

fast after that. And before I knew it, I was behind bars, sittin’  

there with a love sick Latino, an asian alien, a muslim  

fundamentalist and a 300-pound black humanitarian.”

“And pee on this!” he said and moved forward to practically rub noses  

with the beauty, “The story ain’t finished yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment