Friday, March 12, 2021

Chapter 20. sally - Sick Sacraments

 20. sally


Sally: Hello, fellow sacramentians. Welcome to Sally’s Corner. I have  

assembled a few locals to talk about their everyday life in the  

sacramento valley. So. Let me ask you all for your occupation. First  

off, J.J. You were raised in the junk business.


J. J.: I wasn’t raised in the junk business. My father sold used  

cars. He did use to say though, that it’s in junk that you make the  

money. I think about it when I walk around the house and it bothers me.


René: I used to work at a cinema where we only showed junk from  

Hollywood. Now, I work at one showing alternative films but it’s  

closing because of cultural disinterest. Before that I did political  

work, and had to stop because I found out who my real enemies were.


Kim:         I started by putting my money into genetic tomatoes, and wound  

up in the satellite business. Can you draw a parallel?


Don: I belong to the Moron Church and it says that we are to be  

responsible for the decline of civilization. The faster we get there,  

the better for everybody. That’s why I started my own real estate  

agency. I manage properties.


Chad: I used to be a social worker but it didn’t pay enough. Now I  

belong to a union and work forty hours a week as a truck driver to  

support my sick wife.


Sally: So why did you go on strike and let all those tomatoes rot?


Chad: That’s right, always blame us first. It’s time for some of the  

money to tickle down. We’re not going to bring tomatoes to get canned  

only for someone in Chicago to get all the profit.


Sheila: I am an artist. I never liked the triple down effect. I  

prefer it to be spread across. It might be boring for some but at  

least it’s fair. Plus we need to be more sensitive to mother nature.  

Look at this dress. It saved over 200 gallons of water. It’s 100  

percent recycled. I made it myself.


Don: I have nothing against sensitive artists as long as they pay the  

rent.


René: Look who’s talking. Mr. End of the World himself? Yes, I am  

frustrated. It’s hard to pay the rent on minimum wage. You and your  

kind are hitler’s willing helpers and I have no sympathy.


Sally: Getting back to the tomato. Nightshade? Or helpful vegetable  

product? Can we even call it a vegetable?


William: To think I went to war and lost two of my fingers because of  

the tomato. That proves its importance.


Sheila: Wow! You went to war for the tomato?


William: Among other things.


Sheila: Well, I eat one a day and have been feeling better than James  

Brown. Know your foodstuffs, is what I say, and I believe it’s a fruit.


Kim:         I would say, know your limits. I was not well liked in the  

farming community. Our company’s tomato sold well. It had a shelf  

life of three weeks, but it was not long before pollination stopped  

and butterflies were dying.


Sheila: You killed butterflies! That’s exactly the type of machismo  

that is being slowly destroyed in western societies by the various  

women’s movements. So I guess the tomato works wonderfully as a  

metaphor for evolution.


René I think a yam would be better. Where are you coming from, sister,  

if I can call you that? Nothing is being destroyed here. They are  

just interested in new toys. Just you watch. They always come up with  

some sort of clause in their bill of rights to keep their power.


Sally: Do you think the truck drivers committed a terrorist act?


Kim:         What terror is, is all the regulations imposed on free trade. We  

are trying to make it easier for goods and services to respond to  

market demands. We should be able to operate our factories  

accordingly. What we need are laws against organized labor.


Chad: You forgot one major commodity. People. They work in the  

factory or drive the trucks, and it may come as a surprise to you,  

but most of us have a life outside of the work place.


Kim: I know your type. You are either with us or against us. And I  

didn’t say that first.


René: Wait a minute. What is terror in the first place? Assimilating  

the vile characteristics of the people that suppress you, so you can  

walk down the streets without fear. I think that’s terror. Excuse me.


J. J.: I shot up my father’s house trying to defend myself against  

Burger Queen, Megahard, Delta Realty and MTV. I felt constantly  

terrorized. What else could I do? I was living in denial. I am mad as  

hell and I am not going to take it anymore.


Chad: I can understand your rage.


Sally: Okay. Back to the tomato. The tomato as metaphor. What planet  

are we living on? One that feeds or one that starves?


Kim:          Starves.That’s why our firm is developing new and more powerful  

genetically-manipulated tomatoes as quickly as possible. The chain is  

broken, so let’s just get on with it.


Chad: It’s obviously a starving planet. It’s all we can do, just to  

keep food on the table. And now we have to worry about the water we  

drink and the air we breathe. The price of everything has gone up,  

but the conditions stay the same.


Don: It’s just your kind that we need in our church. Have you ever  

been visited by young men on bicycles in dark-colored suits? It’s a  

starving planet. And I am doing my best to keep it that way.


René: I like your honesty. Starving is my vote, case in point.


J. J.: Do you really want to know my opinion? I think it’s both. It  

gives and we take. I guess that’s how I feel about most things. Maybe  

that’s why I feel so bad all the time.


Sheila: So long as I can breathe, it’s a feeding planet. People  

should only buy what’s in season, from their local farmer’s market. I  

recycle. You can tell that I’m an optimist.


Don: Boy, you sound like one of those freak liberals to me. Nothing  

is going to get better, and our church makes a point of that. That’s  

why we stock up. We’re just waiting for the rapture. Just like that  

city in Iran. Bam! It will happen. Then we can take over because  

we’ll be the ones who survived.


Kim:         I like what you’re saying. I am going to co-opt some of these  

elements for policy making. It’s always a good way to avert  

instability in the market.


Chad: Yeah. Give it a new face, but the insides still are rotten.


Sally: Let’s think about that during our commercial break. When we  

come back, I’ll be asking my guests if they think positive  

reinforcement in the form of beeps at a checkout counter has made us  

into happy consumers?





No comments:

Post a Comment