Friday, March 12, 2021

Chapter 24. phil - Sick Sacraments

 24. phil


Rose: I’ve always tried to do the best for my children. That’s where  

the money went. We sent them to the best schools, they always had  

nice clothes, food on the table. I think they turned out well. The  

oldest is a police officer, another owns a used clothing store. There  

is a professor of art and the youngest is a lesbian. Four altogether.


Tracy: Because of the political work I do, I went to San Ysidro to  

attend a gun control convention. But a mass murderer stole the show  

when he shot up a Burger Queen there.


Lee: The worst thing is not knowing. Everyday I live in fear of  

being deported. I came here on tourist visa and now I want to stay.  

The people are very nice and they try to help me. I bring cigarettes  

from mexico to make money. I like to smoke but people don’t give me  

cigarettes anymore. I want papers. I do not want to be alien anymore.


Susan: Maybe, I can help you. Do you know how to pray?


Bruce: Maybe you can heal me. I’ve been praying for years.


Phil: Hello to those of you who are just joining us. We have been  

talking about charity. How far do we give? Give till it hurts? Let me  

ask you, Serena.


Serena: I’m on everybody’s mailing list. I am on everybody’s  

committee, from the American Cancer to the American Prophylactic.  

I’ve been giving and it hurts. I might be famous, appearing nightly  

in Viva Las Vegas but I am not made of money.


April: I did a lot of volunteer work for the church before the  

reverend was put into jail. Since then I have been doing work for the  

Revised Church of the Secret Learn and I have been saving for my  

retirement.


Bruce: I’m positive and if it wasn’t for charity, I wouldn’t be alive  

today.


Susan: You know, Phil, our founding fathers didn’t establish this  

nation to be barbaric. What kind of stupid morons do those charity  

executives think they’re fooling, bombarding us with ads to save the  

flag, save an elm, save a river, save a smelt. You name it, you got  

to save it.


Phil: Couldn’t you just scream?


Serena: I certainly could. How about, Save the Classics. Why do I  

want to save classical art? It’s old and tired. I give to the local  

arts. At least they’re alive and dangerous.


Rose: Boy, she’s sure got a wacky sense of humor.


Serena: Enjoy culture. Don’t make an enemy of it. But unfortunately,  

it has been taken over and has become a commodity. Contemporary  

culture is fleeting. It is attached to the moment, to what’s current.


Bruce: Before my illness, I wouldn’t of known art existed. Now I get  

to go to concerts for free, don’t have to pay the fines on overdue  

books at the library, and eat for free at art openings.


Phil: Do you know anything about these born again Opportunists?”


Bruce: They haven’t given me anything.


April: I certainly do. I was involved when I was young, stupid and  

married. I thought they were the answer. I was bored and needed  

something to believe in. It’s hard to believe in anything real when  

you are born and raised in California.


Lee: I think it was one of them who bought a pack of cigarettes from  

me and they took me to one of their churches.


Phil: I think they did a pretty good job on you. You sound like an  

opportunist. Can someone give this man a cigarette?


April: I don’t smoke. He really is an alien.


Rose: I do not know any of these people. I want to avoid any form of  

domestic violence, and burn their pamphlets in my gas fireplace.


Tracy: I think my bosses at work were in to it. Is that the religion  

where you are locked in a room and have to scream out the person you  

hate the most?


Serena: Separation of church and art is my principle. If I had gotten  

mixed up with one of those spun out churches, I never would have  

gotten a show on The Strip.


Phil: Let’s supposed you’re stuck in bad air and you need shelter,  

otherwise you’ll threaten to commit violent acts. What do you do?


Rose: When I am in this state, I open the front door and casually re- 

enter the comfort of my air-conditioned home, with the babble from my  

entertainment center and the purr of my refrigerator to help me calm  

down.


Bruce: I am inside most of the time anyway, except when I go out and  

eat free food or go to a free concert. I am on so much medication  

that nothing and everything could affect me. Otherwise, I’m in no  

condition to get violent.


Serena: I jet off to someplace where it’s clean, but it’s getting  

harder nowadays to find paradise.


Phil: Is it time to skim off what is left? Is there such a thing as  

Disneyland forever? Do you masturbate, Lee?


Lee:         Why do you want to know this? Is it because I am alien? I do not  

spy. I just sell cigarettes. I see you with a wig on your head, why?


Phil:         It’s not a wig. It’s fortified hair. It’s part of the business.  

No one wants to look at a balding talk show host.


Bruce: I beat off once a day. On top of everything else wrong with  

me, I don’t want to develop prostrate cancer.


Phil: But most of you haven’t stopped giving. What are your  

prerequisites? Who gets and who doesn’t?


April: I look at it this way. There is some truth in the scriptures  

and that’s what’s kept me going. All those wonderful examples of  

people trudging on, rising from the dead to overcome challenges.


Rose: I feel like it’s my turn to be on the receiving end. I am old  

enough. But when my children come home, the first thing they want is  

a home-cooked meal. Charity never stops.


Tracy: I don’t qualify for any benefits. Maybe I should get sick or  

have a dozen kids so I can take advantage somehow. I feel like I’m  

the one being milked, my udders are raw.


Serena: It’s hard to say. I’ve stopped giving money in this country.  

My money goes a lot further elsewhere. There, I can feed a village  

for a month compared to here where I’d just be paying for the  

medication for one person for one day.


Phil: Is it a nightmare scenario? The givers and the takers. Have we  

lit the fuse? Let’s hear what you think? Give us a call at the number  

on the bottom of your screen. Don’t go away. We’ll be right back.





No comments:

Post a Comment